Students from around the world are invited to study at Simpson College. In the past, students have come from Argentina, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Bulgaria, Mexico, Germany, England, Poland, Canada, Australia, Kenya, Sri Lanka, Ghana, Nigeria, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and many other countries.
Multicultural and International Affairs at Simpson College have created a Host Family program for International Students. A host family is assigned to every incoming International Students. We would like to invite you to be a “Host Family”. The goal of this program is to provide international students an Iowa studying experience from community members; someone whom the students can immediately relate with and spend time with for a night, weekend or over the holidays. We hope international students who study at Simpson College are able to learn about local culture through community members. Secondly, having a host family in a foreign nation is a great support because for many of them studying at Simpson is their first experience being away from home.
1. The host family will be expected to write to their International Student assignee before the International Student arrives United States.
2. The host family, along with someone from the College, will be expected to meet the International Student at the airport upon his/her arrival.
3. The host family will not be expected to house the International Student for the first night they are in the States. We would prefer that you move the student directly into student housing. However, if the student housing is not yet available, it is appropriate for the host family to house the student until the student housing is available.
4. The host family will be expected to take the International Student to their on-campus housing on the first day it is appropriate for the student to move in.
5. The host family will be expected to make their home phone number available to their student assignee. The host family will be expected to invite their International Student assignee to their home at least one additional time during the first month after the arrival of their International Student assignee.
6. The host family and the student are expected to reach a mutual agreement as to where the student would spend the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Spring Break, and Easter). [Keep in mind that most International Students travel during holidays.]
7. The host family will make themselves aware of the campus calendar of events at Simpson College, including when the residence halls are open and when they are closed, when students are allowed to move in to their residence hail room, what phone numbers to call for various needs of the student. (The host family will be given the materials needed to have this information handy.)
8. The host family will also need to have all the medical information necessary concerning their assignee as well as knowing what medical facilities and Doctors are available in the area.
9. The host family will maintain a frequency of contact with their International Student assignee beyond the above mentioned expectations as arranged between them and their International Student assignee. The host family will accompany the student back to the airport upon the student’s return to their native country.
1. International Program Committee will give host families background infomation on the country and culture of their International Student assignee. It is imperative that the host families understand the country and culture of their assignee as much as possible.
2. It may take some time for international Student to adjust to the Simpson and local culture. Students from certain culture are more reserved and will not ask for assistance. Therefore, host family contacting their student assignee to see how they are doing are appreciated.
3. A member of the International Program Committee are assigned to each host family. The member from the committee will assist the host family to reach the expectations listed above.
We anticipate the host families to remain in contact with their assigned student during their Simpson's career. A student can study at Simpson for as short as semester to as long as his or her entire college career. Host families whom could no longer provide support to their assignee are expected to meet with the International Program Committee.
If you are interested at hosting an international student, please contact Walter Lain at firstname.lastname@example.org.