The New Orpheus Experience
Can't get you off the stage? Can't keep you from singing? This new camp is designed exclusively for high school students who love combining their talents in singing and acting, whether through an interest in musical theater, opera, or operetta. In addition to our singing actors, we are looking for two accomplished pianists who wish to hone their skills in a collaborative performance environment. All students will be coached and taught by Simpson College faculty and additional teaching artists, in an environment designed to enrich your current skills and open the door to future opportunities. You won't want to miss out on what we have in store for you!
Here's What You Can Expect
• Your first day, we kick things off with Des Moines Metro Opera's final production followed by a chance to meet some of the DMMO artistic staff and learn more about the company and careers as a singer
• During the week, you will progress through voice lessons, classes about stage movement, and coaching and staging for opera, musical theater, and operetta scenes.
• Vocalists will be assigned scenes and roles prior to camp, so they may arrive with music prepared and hone their musicianship during the camp under the expert musical and stage direction of our faculty and staff.
• Students will be able to choose some of their own curriculum, from topics such as stage movement, vocal health, diction, music history, music preparation, makeup for stage, composition through the ages, etc.
• We will cap off the week with a solo recital on Friday and a Gala Scenes concert on Saturday, celebrating all your musical growth and hard work!
We will award 2 full camp scholarships to talented pianists interested in collaborative performance. Our pianists will take private lessons, learn strategies for performance, work collaboratively with vocalists, and end the week with both solo and collaborative performances.
Vocalist Information and Options
Vocalists will have the option of choosing from two different application types: as a vocalist in ensemble participation only, or as a vocalist seeking solo roles. All vocalists at camp will have private voice lessons, seminars on stage movement and vocal health, coaching in pre-assigned musical theater, opera, or operetta scenes, and a choice in elective classes. Vocalists seeking solo roles in scenes will have an added registration step of submitting a recorded audition and requesting a recommendation from an instructor. All roles and scenes will be assigned ahead of time, so that students can prepare their music prior to camp.
How Do I Sign Up?
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER and to see registration checklists for each registration type.
What is the Full Singing Actor Camp Schedule?
HERE YOU GO! Simpson College Orpheus Singing Actor Camp 2017 Schedule
Who Will I Be Working With at Camp?
The musicians and educators guiding your artistic journey will include:
Bruce Brown, voice teacher and stage director
Virginia Lauridsen, vocal health seminar
Suzanne Lommler, voice teacher
Bernard McDonald, musical coach and accompanist
Timothy A. McMillin, musical coach and accompanist
Michael Patterson, musical coach and accompanist
Kimberly Roberts, voice teacher and stage director
Jesse Stock, voice teacher and stage director
Tell Me More About My Options for Classes
In 2017, students could choose one class from the following (new classes coming for 2018):
- IPA/Diction for Singers
- Music History
- Musical Preparation for Vocalists and Collaborative Pianists
Optional Morning Seminar:
- Applied Composition (subject to scheduling and availability)
Click here for additional information on class options
Who Can I Contact With Questions?
Please Contact Crystal Burns at 515-808-1432, or at email@example.com