The New Orpheus Experience
Can't get you off the stage? Can't keep you from singing? This new camp is designed exclusively for high school students who love combining their talents in singing and acting, whether through an interest in musical theater, opera, or operetta. In addition to our singing actors, we are looking for two accomplished pianists who wish to hone their skills in a collaborative performance environment. All students will be coached and taught by Simpson College faculty and additional teaching artists, in an environment designed to enrich your current skills and open the door to future opportunities. You won't want to miss out on what we have in store for you!
Here's What You Can Expect
• Your first day, we kick things off with Des Moines Metro Opera's production of Turandot, followed by a chance to meet some of the DMMO artistic staff and learn more about the company and careers as a singer
• During the week, you will progress through vocal lessons, stage movement, and coaching and staging for opera, musical theater, and operetta scenes.
• Vocalists will be assigned scenes and roles prior to camp, so they may arrive with music prepared and hone their musicianship during the camp under the expert direction of our faculty and staff.
• Students will be able to choose some of your own curriculum, from topics such as stage movement, vocal health, diction, music history, music preparation, makeup for stage, composition through the ages, etc. (final details are currently under development)
• We will cap off the week with a solo recital on Friday, and a Gala Scenes concert on Saturday, celebrating all your musical growth and hard work!
Camp is July 16-22, 2017
Students entering grades 9-12 are eligible
Provides high level instruction and experience for vocalists and for pianists seeking collaborative experiences
Cost is $495 for the full week
Optional one-day Festival Chorus add-on for an additional $110
We will award 2 full camp scholarships to talented pianists interested in collaborative performance. Our pianists will take private lessons, learn strategies for performance, work collaboratively with vocalists, and end the week with both solo and collaborative performances.
Vocalist Information and Options
Vocalists will have the option of choosing from two different application types: as a vocalist in ensemble participation only, or as a vocalist seeking solo roles. All vocalists at camp will have private lessons, seminars on stage movement and vocal health, coaching in pre-assigned musical theater, opera, or operetta scenes, and a choice in elective classes. Vocalists seeking solo roles in scenes will have an added registration step of submitting a recorded audition and requesting a recommendation from an instructor. All roles and scenes will be assigned ahead of time, so that students can prepare their music prior to camp.
Optional Camp Add-On: Join the Coro Festival Chorus for Haydn's "The Creation"
Singing Actor Camp participants will also have the opportunity to join the Coro Festival Chorus and professional orchestra to perform Haydn's The Creation. This experience extends the camp by one day, to Sunday, July 23rd, and adds additional rehearsals during the week of camp. This wonderful opportunity is available to students at registration for an additional $110. Additional information on the Festival Chorus can be found HERE, or check out our Camp Schedule to see how this complements Singing Actor Camp
How Do I Sign Up?
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER and to see registration checklists for each registration type. The registration includes the Coro Festival Chorus add-on option as well.
What is the Full Singing Actor Camp Schedule?
Here you go! Simpson College Singing Actor Camp 2017 Schedule
Who Will I Be Working With at Camp?
The musicians and educators guiding your artistic journey will include:
Bruce Brown, Virginia Lauridsen, Suzanne Lommler, Bernard McDonald, Tim McMillin, Michael Patterson, Jamie Poulsen, Kim Roberts, Jesse Stock, and additional guest faculty members.
Tell Me More About My Options for Classes
You can choose one class from the following:
IPA/Diction for Singers
Musical Preparation for Vocalists and Collaborative Pianists
Optional Morning Seminar:
Applied Composition (subject to scheduling and availability)
Click here http://simpson.edu/music/singingactorcampclasses/ for additional information on class options
Who Can I Contact With Questions?
Please Contact Crystal Burns at 515-808-1432, or at firstname.lastname@example.org