Whether you’re exploring the legal field or have your heart set on law school, Simpson offers valuable experience for pre-law success.
Simpson Pre-Law focuses on skills top law schools desire: critical thinking, analysis, and professional writing. Small class sizes and personal advising will help you find internships, navigate your law school applications, and get those all-important letters of recommendation. We also offer Iowa’s only public forum debate team, a great way for future attorneys to practice their legal skills.
How successful are Simpson graduates?
Simpson alumni like Katheryn Pearson ’10 (below) are accepted to and thrive in excellent law schools in Iowa and across the nation, including Notre Dame, Loyola University, the University of Iowa, and Drake University. Simpson College is a great place to prepare for a top U.S. law school and future success in an amazing variety of careers.
Why study pre-law at Simpson? Listen to our alumni:
Simpson Pre-Law graduates have interned with the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Senate, U.S. Attorney’s office, Iowa Attorney General, Iowa legislature, and top law firms. They attain successful careers in legal and policy fields.
What majors are a good fit for Pre-Law students?
The preparation law schools demand can be found in majors like History, Political Science, Economics, Philosophy, and many others. As a Pre-Law student, you can even double-major in two fields of interest!
What courses are suggested for Pre-Law students?
Courses will vary based on your interests or intended specialization.
- Phil 110 Introduction to Logic
- Econ 100 Principles of Economics
- Acct 201 Introduction to Accounting
- Mgmt 231 Business Law and Business Ethics I
2 of the following:
- Hist 201 US History to 1877
- Hist 202 US History Since 1877
- CJ 220 Criminal Justice Systems
- Comm 301 Media Law & Ethics
2 of the following:
- PoSc 101 American Government
- PoSc 315 The Supreme Court and the Constitution
- PoSc 325 The Supreme Court and Civil Liberties
- PoSc 358 Constitutional History of the U.S