The major in psychology is designed with four purposes in mind: (1) preparation for graduate study and a career in psychology; (2) preparation for vocations where extensive background in psychology is necessary, such as general counseling and some careers in human services; (3) general preparation for related vocations, such as business, education, law, advertising, or nursing; and (4) a broadening educational experience which will contribute to the understanding of self and others.
- Students conduct their own original experiments and research projects and collaborate on research projects with faculty members in the department.
- Simpson students have a 100% placement rate in applications to present research at the annual Midwestern Psychological Association Conference.
- More than 40% of Simpson psychology graduates go on to graduate school.
- Psychology Club enriches the classroom experience and offers networking opportunities.
Jobs & Internships
- Children and Families of Iowa
- Department of Human Services
- Division of Criminal Investigation
- George Washington Carver Association
- Heartland Area Education Agency
- Orchard Place
- Powell Chemical Dependency
- The Young Women's Resource Center
- Youth Emergency Services
- Youth Homes of MidAmerica
- Psyc 101 Introduction to Psychology
- Psyc 214 Research Methods in Psychology
- Psyc 215 Statistical Methods in Psychology
Foundations in Cognitive, Biological & Learning Processes
- Psyc 233 Behavioral Neuroscience
- Psyc 237 Cognitive Psychology
- Psyc 201 Developmental Psychology
- Psyc 250 Abnormal Psychology
- Psyc 220 Psychology of Gender
Cognitive, Biological, and Learning Processes
- Psyc 329 Cognitive Neuroscience
- Psyc 331 Learning and Behavior
- Psyc 334 Psychology of Language
- Psyc 336 Sensation and Perception
- Psyc 322 Social Psychology
- Psyc 342 Personality
- Psyc 343 Clinical Psychology
- Psyc 349 Adolescent Development
- Psyc 351 Practicum in Psychology
- Psyc 375 Advanced Research I
Even at a young age, Dr. Jane Paulsen knew that what she wanted out of life more than anything was to help people.