The responsibility and purpose of the Department of Residence Life is to intentionally create nurturing, stimulating, challenging and enriching communities in the residence halls that complement and supplement the academic liberal arts mission of Simpson College. We strive to develop ethical environments conducive to excellence, openness and mutual dignity. Through partnership with others, we provide quality programs, services and facilities for those we serve in a caring, responsible and cost-effective manner; trusting that our best efforts can always be improved.
We achieve this by:
- Encouraging student to accept both the freedom and responsibility inherent in community living.
- Engaging students in learning opportunities outside the classroom.
- Providing trained, caring and competent professional and student staff.
- Effectively administering housing operations by providing safe and comfortable facilities that meet student needs.
- Embracing the spirit of liberal arts, holistic education and the spirit of innovation as stated in the Simpson College Mission Statement.
Through these efforts, the Department of Residence Life assists in the development of responsible and fulfilled individuals who can adapt successfully to the college environment and beyond, growing to contribute to the world of work, service and scholarship.
Diversity Vision Statement for Security and Residence Life
We, the department of Residence Life and Office of Security, strive to create a campus climate in which the will to build trust and respect among people is widely shared, and opportunities for enhancing diversity and a sense of community are encouraged and supported. Multiple perspectives and experiences are essential to learning, and necessary to prepare effective citizens and leaders. We stand committed to fostering and sustaining a pluralistic, inclusive environment that empowers all members of the campus community to achieve their highest potential without fear of prejudice or discrimination.