Sports Administration Major
The Sports Administration major focuses on the business side of sports, wellness and recreation. You will complete two internships which provides experiential learning, a vital ingredient in any Sports Management program.
- With the close proximity of Des Moines, you have internship opportunities with several minor league professional athletic teams along with many health and fitness facilities or park and recreation programs.
- You will also have the opportunity to work with Simpson's athletics communication director and staff at NCAA events on campus.
- You could also combine this program with other academic programs here on campus such as public relations, management or multimedia communication.
Recent Jobs and Internships
- Iowa Cubs
- Iowa Barnstormers
- Green Bay Packers
- Minnesota Vikings
- Principal Charity Golf Classic
“For what I want to go into, being so close to Des Moines was hands-down the best thing that could have happened for me, because I got two internships with two very respectable organizations.”
- SpSc 214 Recreation and Park Program Mgmt.
- SpSc 253 Sport and Fitness Management *CT embedded skills
- SpSc 263 Sports Law *CE area of engagement and WC and IL embedded skills
- SpSc 273 Sport and Fitness Marketing
- SpSc 300 Sport Finance
- SpSc 320 Event and Facility Management
- Acct 201 Introduction to Accounting *QR embedded skill
- Comm 223 Introduction to Integrated Marketing Communication *OC embedded skills
- Econ 100 Principles of Economics
- SpSc 319 Junior or senior internship
- SpSc 385 Senior Capstone with internship * WC and IL embedded skills
Typical Four Year Progression:
SpSc 214 (fall only)
SpSc 253 (spring and summer only)
SpSc 263 (fall only)
SpSc 273 (spring only)
*SpSc 290 - Career services workshop series at least one semester prior to completing SpSc 319 internship. If Coop 119 was completed during May term, the student is exempt from taking SpSc 290.
SpSc 300 (fall only)
SpSc 320 (fall only, junior or senior year)