Summer International Travel Courses

Kinkakuji Temple, Kyoto, JapanFaculty-led international travel course offered during Summer 2014:

WLCS 297 Japanese Culture (John Bolen); ECC: Global Perspective Preliminary cost estimate: $4,420 plus $35 for books, $150 for meals not covered by course fee, $150 for additional travel with sponsoring student, and $135 passport fee, if needed.  Students wanting to earn academic credit for the travel course must also pay $1,420 for the four credits.  Those individuals who do not want to earn academic credit for the course must be registered as an auditor of the course for liability purposes at a cost of $184.  Prerequisite for taking this course: WLCS 190 “Japan: Kimonos and Blue Jeans” or approval of the instructor.

Students will travel to Japan and experience some of the richness of the culture as well as get to know many adult Japanese students. Students will study the language and will be assisted in their language skills by a sponsoring Japanese adult student. Students will read three books and write short reports on each. Students will keep a journal while in Japan, and discuss the journal upon their return. Students will write a final paper on one cultural aspect of Japan and be tested on their language skills at the end of the term. Students will visit Fukuoka, Kurume, Hiroshima and Kyoto during the ten day travel to Japan.  For more information about this travel course, please contact Professor Bolen. Review the following documents related to applying for and participating in a short-term study abroad experience:

Create an account on the online application system, and then complete the online application process on that site. Upload the following to your Simpson SC Connect account:

  • a copy of your Simpson College degree audit
  • a copy of  the data page from your passport, if you already have it, but if you don’t already have a passport, then upload a copy of your completed passport application (with your SSN blacked out).   Please note:  you are not required to submit that completed passport application, the supporting documentation or the associated processing fee to the Warren County Recorder’s Office or any other passport application processing site until you’ve received notification that you have been accepted into a travel course.
  • Proof of payment of the $200 non-refundable deposit from the Simpson College Business Office.  The $200 deposit is non-refundable, but it is possible to get a refund if you learn that you did not get accepted into the course to which you’ve applied and you decide not to apply to join another course which still has space availability.

If you’re not a current Simpson College student, you won’t be able to upload the required documents to SC Connect.  Instead, you should provide proof of having made the $200 deposit payment and your passport copy (or completed passport application form) to Andrea Biklen at Simpson’s West Des Moines campus or mail these documents to Jay Wilkinson at Simpson’s Office of International Education (701 N C St., Indianola, IA 50125). Complete online applications will be reviewed on a rolling, space-available basis, and a decision regarding each application will be made within two weeks of receipt of all application materials. Plane tickets, and accommodations arrangements for the group will be made beginning the week of Feb. 24, so it’s important that if you’re interested in participating in the travel course, that you’ll get your materials submitted by Feb. 24.

Degree-seeking students are also invited to apply for a Dr. Joe Walt International Education Scholarship to help fund their abroad experience.  Scholarship applications should be completed on the online application system and the deadline for them has been extended until Feb. 17, 2014.  Summer 2014 scholarship awards will be announced by Mar. 7, 2014.

The International Travel Course Policies document contains answers to many frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions about the content of the travel course, please contact Professor Bolen, and for questions about the application process, please contact Jay Wilkinson in the Office of International Education.