Wedding Reception Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in choosing Simpson College as the location for your wedding reception.  Below are some FAQ’s and answers that often arise when couples are looking for a venue that will meet their needs.  We hope this information will be useful to you and help you make an informed decision about where you plan your reception.  This is a very important occasion and we want everything to be perfect for you on your special day.

Congratulations and best wishes to the happy couple!

  1. What venues are available to rent for a wedding reception?
    • Hubbell Hall in the Kent Campus Center
    • Great Hall in Pfeiffer Hall
    • Principal Black Box in the Kent Campus Center

Please contact Marilyn Johnson at Simpson College in the Office of Conferences and Special Events at 515-961-1428 or email for additional information.

2. What is the maximum capacity of the venues?

Room capacity depends on seating style, dance floor, etc.

  • Hubbell Hall seats 350 people banquet style.

Hubbell Hall can be divided into two smaller rooms: Hubbell Hall I can accommodate 225 people banquet style and Hubbell Hall II can accommodate 100 people banquet style.

  • Great Hall can accommodate 275 people banquet style.
  • Principal Black Box can accommodate 350 people banquet style.

Additional tables/staging/furnishings in addition to the guest seating may reduce the overall capacity.  Please keep this in mind as well as your dance floor needs when planning you reception and sending out invitations.

If dancing will be a part of your celebration, Hubbell Hall requires the rental of a portable dance floor.

3. How many chairs are at each table?

Banquet style seating – round tables set with 8 chairs per table. The round tables are 5 feet in diameter and approximately 30 inches high.  Eight foot rectangular tables are also an option: 8’ tables can seat 4 people per side.

4. Is alcohol allowed on campus?

Simpson College has a beer and wine license.  All food and beverage must be ordered through Chartwells Dining Services.  Security must be scheduled for all events serving alcohol.  Simpson College Office of Conferences & Special Events will secure these services.  Please contact Marilyn Johnson at 515-961-1428 regarding Simpson College alcohol policy information.

5. Who can cater my event?

Chartwells Dining Services is our exclusive catering provider.  Exceptions can be made for wedding cakes. Chartwells Dining Services offers a full range of menu options to fit every budget.  Please check out their web site for options at

6. When can I decorate and tear down the decorations?

We allow the client access the morning of the event to decorate.  The client must remove the decorations immediately after the event ends unless other arrangements have been made with our office.

7. What is included with the rental for the reception? Is there any special lighting, projection, and sound available? 

Tables, chairs and the use of a microphone are included with the room rental.  We have state-of-the-art projection and sound equipment Hubbell Hall. There are lighting capabilities and state of the art sound available in the Principal Black Box.  We can also arrange additional lighting and sound in the Great Hall for any event. Our Technical Coordinator will assist you with your technical needs.

8. Are all facilities are handicap accessible?


9. Where can I get maps and directions to campus?

You can access maps and directions online at  ttp://

10.  How do I confirm space and what are the payment arrangements?

A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to secure the space. The remaining balance is due 10 working days before your event.  A contract with Simpson College will be issued for your event.  Our remittance address is:

Simpson College
Office of Conference and Special Events
701 N C Street
Indianola, IA 50125

(Make checks payable to Simpson College.)

12. Where can my guests park?

Your guests can park anywhere (except handicapped and specially marked spaces) on campus since permit use is not enforced on the weekends. See the parking map at

13. What is the cost of rental?

Hubbell Hall                                  $1,500.00

Principal Black Box                      $1,500.00

Great Hall                                     $1,000.00

14. How long before the start of the reception will my guests be able to gain access to the building?

Typically, the building is unlocked ½ hour prior to the start of an event. For example, if the start of your event is at 5pm, then the building will be totally unlocked by 4:30pm. If you need access prior to this, please let us know so that it can be arranged and included in the reservation.