The Spanish Program
No matter what experience you have had with Spanish in the past, we have courses for you! Our courses will help you further develop your language skills and pair these skills with cultural knowledge and intercultural skills giving you everything you need to be successful in either the workplace or graduate school.
Introductory Level Spanish 101: Culture Through Language 1 and Spanish 102: Culture Through Language 2
The focus in the first year of Spanish at Simpson College is learning Spanish and really using it! We use the language to talk about ourselves, our lives and our culture with native speakers from around the world and learn as much as we can from them about their cultures. Skype, Facebook, blogging and other forms of multimedia are essential in these classes. This is unlike any other Spanish class that you have ever had!
At the advanced level, we offer a variety of electives, both in language and culture in 4 credit and 2 credit formats. No matter what other majors or interests you may have, you will always have time for a Spanish class making it one of the most flexible majors on campus.
- SPAN 203 TOPICS IN SPANISH GRAMMAR (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 205 PHONETICS AND DIALECTOLOGY
SPAN 210 VOCABULARY IN CONTEXT (.5 COURSE)
- SPAN 211 SPANISH FOR THE PROFESSIONS (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 303 ADVANCED ORAL COMMUNICATION
- SPAN 304 ADVANCED COMPOSITION AND CREATIVE WRITING
Our culture area electives are designed to further develop your intercultural skills and deepen your knowledge in a variety of contexts. These courses will complement your language skills and prepare you to be successful in an ever-shrinking world.
- SPAN 209 FILM IN SPANISH
- SPAN 213 IDEAS AND CULTURES: LATIN AMERICA (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 214 IDEAS AND CULTURES: SPAIN (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 212 LATINO COMMUNITIES
- SPAN 305 INTRODUCTION TO LITERATURE (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 307 CULTURAL TOPICS IN THE HISPANIC WORLD
- SPAN 310 TOPICS IN LATIN AMERICAN LITERATURE
- SPAN 311 TOPICS IN SPANISH LITERATURE
*may be taken twice
In addition to our courses, students will have the opportunity to have an immersion experience, either through a study abroad experience or a language internship.