The Spanish ProgramNo matter what experience you have had with Spanish in the past, we have courses for you! Our courses will help you further develop your language skills and pair these skills with cultural knowledge and intercultural skills giving you everything you need to be successful in either the workplace or graduate school.
Introductory Level Spanish 101: Culture Through Language 1 and Spanish 102: Culture Through Language 2 The focus in the first year of Spanish at Simpson College is learning Spanish and really using it! We use the language to talk about ourselves, our lives and our culture with native speakers from around the world and learn as much as we can from them about their cultures. Skype, Facebook, blogging and other forms of multimedia are essential in these classes. This is unlike any other Spanish class that you have ever had!
Spanish 202: Gateway to Advanced Spanish This course focuses on transformational cultural movements in the Spanish speaking world using testimonials and creative representations as sources. You will be using all of your language skills and creativity in order to bring the reality of the world we are exploring to life.
Advanced Level At the advanced level, we offer a variety of electives, both in language and culture in 4 credit and 2 credit formats. No matter what other majors or interests you may have, you will always have time for a Spanish class making it one of the most flexible majors on campus.
Themes in Language Electives Our language area electives are goal oriented, letting you design your major/minor around your future, giving you the vocabulary, mechanics, writing and speaking skills to achieve your goals. The language area electives include these courses:
- SPAN 203 TOPICS IN SPANISH GRAMMAR (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 205 PHONETICS AND DIALECTOLOGY
- SPAN 210 VOCABULARY IN CONTEXT (.5 COURSE)
- SPAN 211 SPANISH FOR THE PROFESSIONS (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 303 ADVANCED ORAL COMMUNICATION
- SPAN 304 ADVANCED COMPOSITION AND CREATIVE WRITING
*may be taken twice
Themes in Culture Electives Our culture area electives are designed to further develop your intercultural skills and deepen your knowledge in a variety of contexts. These courses will complement your language skills and prepare you to be successful in an ever shrinking world.
- SPAN 209 FILM IN SPANISH
- SPAN 213 IDEAS AND CULTURES: LATIN AMERICA (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 214 IDEAS AND CULTURES: SPAIN (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 212 LATINO COMMUNITIES
- SPAN 305 INTRODUCTION TO LITERATURE (.5 COURSE)*
- SPAN 307 CULTURAL TOPICS IN THE HISPANIC WORLD
- SPAN 310 TOPICS IN LATIN AMERICAN LITERATURE
- SPAN 311 TOPICS IN SPANISH LITERATURE