Laura Cesarco Eglin is an Assistant Professor of Spanish in the Department of World Language and Culture Studies. Her research focuses on 20th and 21st century Latin American (Spanish American and Brazilian) literatures, poetry, and cultures. She is particularly interested in how the texts enter into dialogue with socio-cultural manifestations, beliefs, and artifacts.
Additionally, she is the author of three collections of poetry and two chapbooks. Her poetry and translations (from the Spanish, Portuguese, Portuñol, and Galician) have appeared in Modern Poetry in Translation, MiPOesias, Eleven Eleven, Puerto del Sol, Copper Nickel, Spoon River Poetry Review, International Poetry Review, Tupelo Quarterly, Columbia Poetry Review, among other literary magazines and journals. Her translation of Hilda Hilst’s Da morte. Odes mínimas is forthcoming from co.im.press (October 2018). She is also the co-founding editor and publisher of Veliz Books.
- Latin American Literature and Cultures
- Southern Cone
- Creative Writing
- Literary Translation
Ph.D. in Latin American Literature, University of Colorado-Boulder
M.F.A. in Bilingual Creative Writing, University of Texas at El Paso
M.A. in English, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
B.A. in English, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Calling Water by Its Name / Llamar al agua por su nombre. Trans. Scott Spanbauer. ( Mouthfeel Press, 2016).
- Los brazos del saguaro. ( Yaugurú, 2015).
- Sastrería. (Yaugurú, 2011).
- Llamar al agua por su nombre. ( Mouthfeel Press, 2010).
- Hilst, Hilda. Of Death, Minimal Odes. Co.im.press, forthcoming (October 2018)
- Occasions to Call Miracles Appropriate. (The Lune, 2015).
- Tailor Shop: Threads (co-translated with Teresa Williams). (Finishing Line Press, 2013).
Poems in Anthologies:
- Taken by Light: Anthology of Uruguayan Poetry on Place. (Lavendar Ink/Diálogos Press, 2019).
- América invertida: An Anthology of Younger Uruguayan Poets. (University of New Mexico Press, 2016).
Poems and translations in various literary journals including:
- Modern Poetry in Translation, Blood Orange Review, Eleven Eleven, Puerto del Sol, Copper Nickel, Spoon River Poetry Review, International Poetry Review, Tupelo Quarterly, Columbia Poetry Review, Timber, December, Longleaf Review
- “The Past in the Present; the Past in the Self: Juana Bignozzi’s Mujer de cierto orden.” Revista Gláuks 15.2 (2016): “Leituras de Poesia.” Universidade Federal de Viçosa, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Web.
- “Reading, Crime, and Abracadabra: Borges, Reading Practices, and the Kabbalah.” Variaciones Borges 39. Pittsburgh, PA: Borges Center, 2015: 59-79. Print.
- “Vozes e conversas em Kadosh de Hilda Hilst” REVELL: Revista de Estudos Literários da UEMS, Ano 4, v. 1, Temático - Julho 2013. Universidade Estadual de Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil. Web.
Articles in Books:
- “O desejo em Hilda Hilst: A exploração do ser poeta.” Hilda Hilst: tu mesma, infinita. Eds. Diniz, Cristiano and Mariana Paiva. Guaratinguetá, SP: Penalux, 2018 (Accepted), forthcoming.
- “El tiempo fracturado: la poética del tiempo en la poesía de Ida Vitale.” Mis razones: ensayos sobre mujeres poetas. Ed. Virginia Lucas. (Accepted), forthcoming.