Dr. Stephanie Council is the Director of Choral Studies and Assistant Professor of Music at Simpson College where she conducts the choral ensembles, and teaches courses in Music Education, Conducting, and Lyric Diction. Dr. Council previously led the choral program at Mount Holyoke College while also serving as the adult treble choirs Repertoire and Resources Chair for the Massachusetts chapter of the American Choral Directors Association, and she is frequently called upon by colleagues for programming recommendations especially for women’s and treble choirs. Formerly the Director of Vocal Music for the Ponca City Public Schools in Ponca City, Oklahoma, Dr. Council is passionate about choral pedagogy at every age, specifically relating to the development of individual music literacy, collective sound building, and the cultivation of inclusive and affirming learning environments.
A strong proponent of new music, Dr. Council has commissioned and premiered several choral compositions in recent years. She is sought after as a guest lecturer for choral music education students and as a clinician for collegiate, high school and youth honor choirs around the United States. She was a finalist in the 2013 American Choral Directors Association National Conducting Competition. Her most recent engagements have been as a conductor with the 2019 Vermont Northwest District Honor Choir and as a faculty conducting fellow at the Summer Choral Festival at Westminster Choir College. She has served as a section leader for choirs in the United States and abroad and has extensive experience conducting church choirs and assisting with creative worship planning. Dr. Council enjoys singing with community, church, and professional choirs, and she loves to cook and travel as much as possible.
- Choral pedagogy
- Choral Repertoire and Programming
- Early Music Performance Practice
- Best New Faculty Award, Mount Holyoke College Student Government Association, 2017
- Helen DeVitt Jones Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award, Texas Tech University, 2015
- Finalist, American Choral Directors Association National Conducting Competition, 2013
- D.M.A. in Choral Conducting, Texas Tech University, 2015
- M.M. with Distinction in Choral Conducting, Westminster Choir College, 2012
- B.M. in Vocal Music Education, Oklahoma State University, 2007
- B.M. in Vocal Music Performance, Oklahoma State University, 2007