Simpson College invites applications for the Associate Dean for Student Academic Services. Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President and Academic Dean, the Associate Dean for Student Academic Services maintains a portfolio of seven direct reports and coordinates all operations and activities in support of institutional retention objectives. We are especially interested in candidates who will contribute to a campus climate that supports equity and diversity. The Associate Dean works as part of the leadership team in Academic Affairs, which includes the Registrar, the Associate Dean for Curriculum and Assessment, and the Director of Continuing and Graduate Education.
Duties and Responsibilities—Student Academic Services:
- Supervises staff reports on the behalf of the Academic Dean including Executive Director of the Center for Academic Resources, Executive Director of Continuing and Graduate Education, Director of International Study, Director of the Culver Center, Director of Speech and Debate, and others as assigned.
- Collaborates with Continuing and Graduate Education and Associate Dean for Curriculum and Assessment to facilitate development of new curricula within Continuing and Graduate Education.
- Manages transfer and articulation agreements with institutional partners in collaboration with the Registrar and Director of Transfer Recuritment.
- Advises directors on recruitment initiatives in collaboration with Enrollment Management and Marketing and Strategic Communication.
- Works closely with the Registrar on institutional data in Academic Affairs.
Duties and Responsibilities—Retention:
- Coordinates college-wide retention initiatives using data provided by Institutional Research, Registrar, and stakeholder involvement.
- Maintains up-to-date retention data and coordinates retention initiatives with the Students of Concern Committee and the Executive Director of CARs.
- Provides periodic up-dates and findings from retention efforts and data for internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborates with Student Development personnel on student retention issues.
- Serves as ex-officio or appointed attendee to Students of Concern, Academic Appeals, and Committee on Academic Diversity and Inclusion
- Investigates and mediates student-faculty concerns and conflicts, including issues of plagiarism and academic dishonesty; provides initial assessment to Academic Dean
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Minimum Masters Degree in an applicable field, Doctoral degree preferred.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to prioritize.
- 7-10 years prior experience in higher education with a proven track record of successfully managing multiple priorities.
- Strong personnel management skills and experience in managing a diverse team.
- Comfortable working on cross-functional priorities at a strategic and operational level.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide variety of constituencies, including members of the President’s leadership team and faculty, administrators, students, parents, legislators, and community leaders.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for navigating and influencing within a complex environment with diverse and varied stakeholders.
- High attention to detail and analytical orientation.
- Independent and proactive.
- Ability to learn College software for data collection and reporting.
- Works accurately and calmly under pressure.
- Ability to define clear objectives and enforce accountability for meeting deadlines.
- Collaborative work style; ability to maintain relationships with executives, colleagues, external stakeholders, partners and community leaders.
- Facility with project-management tools and platforms, Basecamp preferred.
- Flexibility, adaptability, keen sense of humor.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a dynamic leadership team at Simpson College in a period of great excitement at the institution. Having successfully completed a recent $31M Capital Campaign (exceeding its target of $25M), the College is poised to grow enrollment, expand partnerships and collaborations, and build upon a history of excellence in the liberal arts. The successful candidate must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and a respect for a diverse environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of many social, economic, cultural, ideological, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
Simpson’s main campus is in Indianola, Iowa, a part of the Des Moines metropolitan area. The Des Moines area has a population of over 600,000, and economic growth has outpaced the U.S. as a whole. In addition, the cost of living is well below the national average.
The Associate Dean of Academic Affairs is a 12-month administrative appointment. If the Associate Dean is a tenured faculty member of Simpson College, the Associate Dean receives a six-course release and a stipend determined annually and retains faculty rank and right of return to teaching in the discipline or approved academic program.
Please send a cover letter, resume, name and contact information for three professional references, a statement addressing how your experiences and/or interests contribute to promoting diversity and inclusivity to Human Resources to firstname.lastname@example.org. Simpson offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including tuition waiver benefits for eligible employees and their immediate family members. Interviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
It is the policy and practice of Simpson College to provide equal educational and employment opportunities for all. We specifically encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, persons with disabilities to apply. The entire Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found here. Employment will require a criminal background check, which may include, but is not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search, and motor vehicle history.