Simpson College, a liberal arts college located in Indianola, Iowa just South of Iowa’s State Capitol of Des Moines, seeks a highly-motivated and passionate individual to fill the position of Athletics Communication Director. The scope of the job includes traditional sports information duties in addition to broader integrated marketing efforts used to promote the college’s athletic department. Simpson sponsors 19 varsity sports and is a proud member of NCAA Division III and the American Rivers Conference.
This full-time, 12-month position will report to the Vice President for Marketing and Public Relations but will be housed in the athletic facility. The position will have responsibility for all aspects of athletic media relations and communications. The director will facilitate the development and distribution of information related to all intercollegiate teams, coaches, and student-athletes across multiple platforms and social media outlets, including SimpsonAthletics.com.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for all aspects of traditional game day sports information operations, including but not limited to:
- Logging game statistics and reporting to the American Rivers Conference and NCAA;
- Producing gameday marketing and informational materials;
- Maintaining accurate historical records, including record books;
- Producing season programs for nine sports in conjunction with the Office of Marketing and Public Relations;
- Updating and maintaining the college’s athletics website, SimpsonAthletics.com;
- Nominating and assisting in the nomination of deserving student-athletes for numerous conference, regional and national awards;
- Coordinating and managing a team of student employees to assist with the duties of the office;
- Coordinating and managing employees and volunteers for gameday operations including photographers, videographers and public address announcers;
- Maintaining and developing relationships with media outlets.
Additionally, the successful candidate will contribute to the integrated marketing efforts of the college, serving as the primary content provider for Storm Athletics. Those duties include, but aren’t limited to:
- Producing consistent, quality content for SimpsonAthletics.com to help convey the Simpson Success brand through the accomplishment of the teams, student-athletes and coaches;
- Producing consistent, quality content for primary social media platforms while providing assistance for sport-specific platforms;
- Coordinating and executing the successful video stream production of most home athletic events;
- Working with the coaches and various offices across campus to develop and implement marketing materials used to assist in recruitment and retention of student-athletes;
- Working with the Office of Marketing and Public Relations on all aspects of print design;
- Coordinating the publications budget with the Office of Marketing and Public Relations;
- Working closely with the Athletic Director and Athletic Marketing team members to ensure sponsors are recognized properly;
- Ensuring brand consistency by maintaining and distributing high-quality logos and marks for internal and external use.
The successful candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in communications, marketing, media arts, or a related field; and possess at least two years of professional work experience in athletics communication, preferably in a higher education environment. Candidates must be well-organized and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Experience with graphic/web design, photography and video editing is required; as well as a contemporary understanding of social media platforms. Must have experience with Stat Crew, while knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, PrestoSports (or similar CMS) and other software is desired. Candidates must be able and willing to work evening and weekend hours. Occasional travel may be required.
To apply please send cover letter, resume, name and contact information for three professional references to: email@example.com
It is the policy and practice of Simpson College to provide equal educational and employment opportunities for all. We specifically encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, persons with disabilities and individuals who are bilingual (Spanish) to apply. The entire Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at: https://simpson.edu/about-simpson-college/human-resources-office#jobs