Simpson College seeks a Chemical Hygiene Officer/Laboratory and Stockroom Manager/Hazardous Waste Manager. This is a 10-month position, working August–May and reports to the Chairperson of the Division of Natural Sciences.
Duties and responsibilities of this position will include but not be limited to:
- developing, implementing and managing the Chemical Hygiene Plan for the science departments located in Carver Science building;
- monitoring and implementing government regulations regarding laboratory safety and regulated waste;
- provide safety and waste management training to faculty and students;
- preparing science labs as directed by science faculty;
- Monitor and maintain lab equipment as well as purchase and maintain stock;
- Post necessary warning signs and maintain SDS files, as well as maintain a current chemical inventory;
- Assist with labs or be assigned teaching responsibilities;
- assist in the supervision of work-study students; and
- Chair the Carver Laboratory Safety Committee for the science departments.
- Will hold a minimum of a Master’s degree in chemistry or related field. In lieu of educational degree requirements, consideration may be given to applicable experience and related education.
- Knowledgeable of federal, state, and local requirements related to the safe use and control of chemical agents, fire safety codes, and life safety codes.
- Have the ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Have the ability to interpret scientific/technical terminology as well as recognize unsafe conditions and practices related to the use of hazardous materials.
- Have good verbal and written communication skills.
Please send a cover letter, resume, name, and contact information for three professional references to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
It is the policy and practice of Simpson College to provide equal educational and employment opportunities for all. We specifically encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, persons with disabilities. The entire Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found here. Employment will require a criminal background check, which may include, but is not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search, and motor vehicle history.