Simpson College is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Dean of Students/Director of Residence Life. Reporting to the Vice President for Student Development and Planning, this position is responsible for overseeing residential and student life programs.
Principal duties include, but not limited to:
- Serve as the director of residence life, supervising both professional and student staff.
- Manage on-going operations of the residential environments
- Supervise student activities staff and departments, including campus security, fraternity & sorority life
- Oversee student conduct discipline and student behavioral issues both within housing and other areas of campus life.
The ideal candidate will have
- A master’s degree in higher education, college student personnel or related field strongly preferred, with a minimum of five years of experience in diverse areas of student affairs with a history of increased responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of seven years of experience in diverse areas of student affairs with a history of increased responsibilities
- Experience working with persons from diverse backgrounds
- A deep understanding of student development theory and practice
- The ability to manage multiple priorities and solve complicated issues in a team-oriented atmosphere
- The physical endurance for long hours
About Simpson College
Simpson College is a private, liberal arts college located in Iowa with campuses in Indianola, West Des Moines, and online. Founded in 1860, the college has 1,268 undergraduate and graduate students. Simpson offers 74 majors, minors, and programs in addition to three graduate programs. Outside of the classroom, Simpson is a member of the NCAA Division III American Rivers Conference, hosts eight Greek houses on campus, and sponsors many extracurricular options for student involvement. To learn more, visit www.simpson.edu
Simpson’s main campus is in Indianola, Iowa, a part of the Des Moines metropolitan area. The Des Moines area has a population of over 600,000, and economic growth has outpaced the U.S. as a whole. In addition, the cost of living is well below the national average.
Please send a cover letter, resume, name and contact information for three professional references, a statement addressing how your experiences and/or interests contribute to promoting diversity and inclusivity to Human Resources to firstname.lastname@example.org. Simpson offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including tuition waiver benefits for eligible employees and their immediate family members. Interviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
It is the policy and practice of Simpson College to provide equal educational and employment opportunities for all. We specifically encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, persons with disabilities to apply. The entire Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found here. Employment will require a criminal background check, which may include, but is not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search, and motor vehicle history.