Post-baccalaureate certificates are for students who have already earned a bachelor's degree and wish to continue their education in a different field.
These certificate programs offer you the opportunity to continue your education without the full time or tuition commitment of pursing a master's degree. We offer two post-baccalaureate certificate tracks in fields that continue to enjoy employment growth.
- Accounting: Gain the general accounting expertise you'll need to launch a career in the field and develop skills in critical thinking, analysis and communication.
ED Gainful Employment Disclosure Template for Accounting
- Computer Science: Learn about data structures, database system management and computer programming. You'll choose elective courses in Computer Information Systems or Computer Science to further sharpen your area of expertise in the industry.
ED Gainful Employment Disclosure Template for Computer Science
Accounting Required Coursework
A study of financial accounting, financial statements, and annual reports with an emphasis on the use of GAAP. Topics of study include an examination of the conceptual framework for financial reporting, the use of time value of money concepts in accounting, the accounting for assets of a business, and accounting the liabilities of a business. Prerequisites: ACCT-201, ACCT-250.
Computer Science Required Coursework
This course introduces computer programming, emphasizing algorithm design and implementation using conditionals, loops, functions, recursion, and object oriented programming. The course is taught in Python. Prerequisites: MATH-105, Math ACT of 22 or higher or Math SAT of 530 or higher. Offered every semester.
- Candidates must enroll in all courses on a regular basis.
- Candidates may not take or transfer in more than two courses required for a certificate from other educational institutions. Prerequisites must be met for some classes and can be transferred in from other institutions as long as they satisfy Simpson’s coursework.
- Candidates pursuing the Accounting certificate, who received their BA from Simpson College and already received credit for coursework that is a part of the Certificate program in which they are enrolled, must substitute other 300 level classes to satisfy the requirements, as approved by the department chair.
- A cumulative grade point average of (2.50) must be obtained in the program with at least a ‘C’ (2.00) grade earned in each class.
- All course requirements can be completed in one year, but students are able to attend on a part-time basis and have up to four years to complete the program.
- Written permission from the chairperson of the department offering the certificate program is required to modify course requirements.
- Each candidate who completes these requirements will receive a certificate which, in addition to the transcript, will serve as official documentation of the continuing education experience.
Our tuition keeps your goals top of mind
Both certificate programs require 28 credits for a total of seven courses that you can take online, on campus or in a blended platform of both. Candidates should budget between $200 and $450 each semester for books and supplies. Room and board are not available for candidates in certificate programs.
|19/20 Tuition Rate||$390 per credit hour|
|Technology Fee||$7 per credit hour|
|Online Fee||$20 per credit hour|
|Matriculation Fee||$125 one-time|
Let's get started
A certificate program can help advance your career.
Steps to Apply
- Complete the Certificates and Specializations Application.
- Send all college transcripts to:
Continuing & Graduate Programs Simpson College
Attn: Ginger Hermon, Admissions Counselor
1415 28th Street, Suite 250
West Des Moines, IA 50266
- If you have any questions, please contact Admissions Counselor Ginger Hermon at 515-961-1313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.