Master of Music in Choral Conducting
NASM-accredited and in partnership with the CORO Choral Institute
Most of our students want to advance their career or pursue their interests in more depth. If you want to do the same, you’ll fit right in!
We know what our students need and we deliver. You can expect excellent customer service firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-309-3099
Earn your advanced degree while working full-time.
In partnership with the CORO Choral Institute, we’re inspired to foster the development and enhancement of choral music in ways that enrich and excite the souls of vocalists, audience members and communities.
Ideal for working musicians
- Inspires the creative and intellectual growth of every student
- Maintain full-time employment while completing your degree
- Gain advanced knowledge, training and performance and experience in choral conducting
- Study coursework that supports your area of specialization, such as music history or ensemble work in 36 credit hours
- Engage in professional creative work during a variety of choral performances and rehearsals
- Complete your degree in an 8-week summer term during each of three consecutive summers while living on campus
Meet the Demands In The Marketplace
Discuss a wide breadth of choral topics and practice and produce advanced, expressive and communicative conducting.
Each requirement is crafted to sharpen your expertise and experience so you thrive in both today’s classrooms as an artist-teacher and live performance spaces as a conductor.
- Current secondary school choir directors
- Elementary music educators with an interest in choral music
- Church music directors
- Community choir directors
- Children’s choir directors
- Performing singers
- Musicians pursuing a terminal degree in choral conducting and college teaching
Who is this program for?
Current secondary-school choir directors, elementary music educators with an interest in choral music, church music directors, community choir directors, children’s choir directors, performing singers and those interested in pursuing a terminal degree in choral conducting and college teaching will all find this degree appealing and uniquely well-suited to them in its quality of instruction and choral experience.
What can I do with this degree?
The degree is designed to prepare musicians for careers in choral conducting. The curriculum and experiences lead to highly qualified and experienced artist-teachers of choral music. You’ll enhance your work in the field as choral conductors and artist-teachers in positions similar to those from which you came to the program.
When and where are classes held?
All coursework takes place at Simpson’s main campus in Indianola, Iowa, and features a schedule of delivery in the summer-only months. Graduate housing in campus’ Washington Apartments is available for less than $20 per day.
Des Moines employers have confidence in a Simpson education. More than 60 businesses have contributed to the cost of their employees’ tuition at SC. LEARN MORE
- Tuition: $800/credit hour
- Technology: $7/credit hour
- Recital fee: $500/summer
- Matriculation fee: $125 (one time)
We defer the cost of each term for 45 days after the end of the term – meaning you have more time to get your employer reimbursement to us.
One less thing for you to worry about!
Be connected to numerous professional opportunities in the greater Des Moines area, around the nation and across the globe.
Graduate with an impressive reel of work experience and a deep network as your cohort.
Build on your skills to bring the joy of music to others throughout your life’s work.
Choral Literature 12 credits total
- MUS 501: Choral Literature 1
- MUS 502: Choral Literature 2
- MUS 503: Choral Literature 3
Seminar in Choral Conducting 6 credits total
- MUS 511: Seminar in Choral Conducting 1
- MUS 512: Seminar in Choral Conducting 2
- MUS 513: Seminar in Choral Conducting 3
Music Theory 4 credits total
- MUS 531: Analysis of Musical Scores
Music History 2 credits total
- MUS 521: Topics in Music History and Literature
Choral Topics 4 credits total
- MUS 551: Vocal Pedagogy in the Choral Setting (2 Credits)
- MUS 552: Choral Diction 1 (1 Credit)
- MUS 553: Choral Diction 2 (1 Credit)
Musicianship 1 credit total
- MUS 542: Advanced Musicianship Training
Graduate Choral Ensemble 3 credits total
- MUS 541: Graduate Choral Ensemble (repeated each summer)
Concert Conducting 3 credits total
- MUS 561: Concert Conducting – Choral (repeated each summer)
Oral Comprehensive Exam 1 credit total
- MUS 571: Master’s Oral Comprehensive Exam – Choral