MASTER OF MUSIC IN CHORAL CONDUCTING
Receive an unparalleled education
Learn from internationally-acclaimed conducting faculty and enjoy extensive podium time with a highly-trained ensemble.
Here to help
Simpson offers a dedicated and focused support team. Let us know how we can best serve you.
MEET THE DEMANDS IN THE MARKETPLACE
Discuss a wide breadth of choral topics and practice and produce advanced, expressive and communicative conducting.
Each requirement is crafted to sharpen your expertise and experience so you thrive in both today’s classrooms as an artist-teacher and live performance spaces as a conductor.
Who is this program for?
Current secondary-school choir directors, elementary music educators with an interest in choral music, church music directors, community choir directors, children’s choir directors, performing singers and those interested in pursuing a terminal degree in choral conducting and college teaching will all find this degree appealing and uniquely well-suited to them in its quality of instruction and choral experience.
What can I do with this degree?
The degree is designed to prepare musicians for careers in choral conducting. The curriculum and experiences lead to highly qualified and experienced artist-teachers of choral music. You’ll enhance your work in the field as choral conductors and artist-teachers in positions similar to those from which you came to the program.
When and where are classes held?
All coursework takes place at Simpson’s main campus in Indianola, Iowa, and features a schedule of delivery in the summer-only months. Graduate housing in campus’ Washington Apartments is available for less than $20 per day.
HIT THE HIGH NOTESWhen it comes to Simpson’s MMCC program, the proof is in the performance. Visit the Simpson College or CORO Vocal Artists YouTube pages to see our students in action.
Choral Literature 12 credits total
- MUS 501: Choral Literature 1
- MUS 502: Choral Literature 2
- MUS 503: Choral Literature 3
Seminar in Choral Conducting 6 credits total
- MUS 511: Seminar in Choral Conducting 1
- MUS 512: Seminar in Choral Conducting 2
- MUS 513: Seminar in Choral Conducting 3
Music Theory 4 credits total
- MUS 531: Analysis of Musical Scores
Music History 2 credits total
- MUS 521: Topics in Music History and Literature
Choral Topics 4 credits total
- MUS 551: Vocal Pedagogy in the Choral Setting (2 Credits)
- MUS 552: Choral Diction 1 (1 Credit)
- MUS 553: Choral Diction 2 (1 Credit)
Musicianship 1 credit total
- MUS 542: Advanced Musicianship Training
Graduate Choral Ensemble 3 credits total
- MUS 541: Graduate Choral Ensemble (repeated each summer)
Concert Conducting 3 credits total
- MUS 561: Concert Conducting – Choral (repeated each summer)
Oral Comprehensive Exam 1 credit total
- MUS 571: Master’s Oral Comprehensive Exam – Choral