MACJ & Graduate Certificate in Justice Leadership Application
We are happy you are interested in the Master of Arts in Criminal Justice or Graduate Certificate in Justice Leadership at Simpson College. To get started in either program please follow the following instructions.
- Official Transcripts – An official transcript is required from each institution attended. The preferred GPA for the program is 3.0.
Continuing & Graduate Programs Simpson College
Attn: Ginger Hermon, Admissions Counselor
1415 28th Street, Suite 250
West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Personal Statement – For your personal statement, answer the questions indicated below. These documents must be typed and double-spaced, using a 12-point font; no handwritten personal statements will be accepted. The page limit is indicated for each question:
Discuss significant factors influencing your decision to pursue a Master of Arts in Criminal Justice degree OR Graduate Certificate in Justice Leadership. Include information regarding career goals and current and/or prior leadership experiences that will contribute to your success as a graduate student (MACJ program or Certificate program) and in the criminal justice system or related professions. (2 pages)
Analyze a social problem of great concern to you. Include key factors contributing to the issue, plausible solution(s), possible steps for implementation and challenges likely to surface in seeking a solution. Please indicate how a Master of Arts degree in Criminal Justice OR Graduate Certificate in Justice Leadership will contribute to your efforts to find a solution to the problem. (2 pages)
If there are any areas that you think the admissions committee may question, such as a low GPA or other issues, please address them here.
- Resume – Be sure that your resume specifies the name of organizations, kind of work, positions held, dates, and full- or part-time positions and includes the following (2 pages):
- All paid criminal justice positions held- both full-time and part-time.
- All paid positions held other than criminal justice (include military experience).
- Volunteer and criminal justice internship experiences.
- Letters of Recommendation and Rating Forms – Three letters of recommendation and scoring sheets from academic or professional contacts must be included to complete your application. Download and fill out the recommendation form, forward a full copy of the form to each individual, and have them include the completed form with their letter, sent directly to email@example.com.