Fire safety policies explained in the Simpson College Student Handbook or in any related college policy or city, state, or federal laws are taken seriously. Residence Life staff will conduct official room inspections during various breaks throughout the academic year. During inspections, prohibited items (see below) will be confiscated and fire safety fines will be assessed for policy violations.
Any violations of policy will be taken seriously. Sanctions, therefore, may include any or all of the following:
- $25 minimum fine per prohibited item or for failure to evacuate during an alarm.
- $100 individual fine for false fire alarm, tampering with fire safety equipment, or setting a fire.
- Restitution for any damages
- $500 community fine (if individuals cannot be found and held accountable for false fire alarm or tampering with fire safety equipment).
- Administrative conduct hearing with the Director of Residence Life.
- Disciplinary probation for the remainder of the current academic year.
- Possible legal ramifications including judicial action by College officials or prosecution by outside agencies.
The following activities, some of which can activate fire alarm systems, are prohibited in campus housing:
- Throwing balls, Frisbees, and other objects
- Shooting water or other objects
- Spraying paint, liquids, or other objects
- Using power saws and other electrical tools
- Tampering with any fire safety equipment
- Using vapor, steam, fog, or smoke emitting devices, such as electronic smoking mechanisms
- Obstructing passageways (hallways, stairwells, etc.) and/or propping open fire safety doors
- Failure to immediately evacuate upon alarm