TO: Simpson College Faculty, Staff and Students
FROM: Terrance Lillis, Chair of the Simpson College Board of Trustees
SEND DATE: Aug. 8, 2019 – 3:30 p.m.
SUBJECT: Leadership at Simpson College
I want to share some important news about the future of Simpson College. Today, the Board of Trustees announced that Jay Simmons will step down as president. Jay will continue serving in this role until a successor is named and has also agreed to assist the chosen candidate to help ensure a smooth transition. The board is currently forming a committee to oversee a nationwide presidential search to recruit the next leader for our institution. The committee’s composition is fully outlined below.
On behalf of the board, I want to thank Jay for his leadership and service to the college over the last six years. He has led several vital initiatives during that time, including efforts to strengthen the college’s financial profile and academic focus, as well as the launch of the Simpson Promise. In addition, the college was recently ranked 15th in the nation by EDSmart, a scholastic ranking specialist, for our online programs. Simpson was the only college in Iowa to make the list.
The board of trustees will appoint a presidential search committee in accordance with the college’s bylaws. According to our bylaws, the search committee will include the following:
• Chairperson of the board
• The resident bishop of the United Methodist Church in Iowa
• Four trustees, as selected by the chairperson of the board in consultation with other officers of the board
• Two academic members elected by the faculty of the college
• A student advisory committee, as appointed by the presidential search committee
• Other advisory committees to support the search committee, as needed
• The search committee chairperson and secretary will be appointed by the chairperson of the board of trustees
Simpson College Board of Trustee Terry Handley has agreed to serve as chairperson of the search committee and Trustee Denise Griffey will serve as secretary.
In addition, representatives from the college staff and alumni will be asked to serve on the search committee.
We will continue to provide updates, as we have new information to share. In the meantime, thank you for all that you do for Simpson College.