Simpson College’s annual Homecoming and Family Weekend celebration returns to the Indianola campus beginning Friday, Oct. 18. The full weekend of festivities will be highlighted by the Storm football team’s game against Wartburg scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m. There will also be an exciting, college-wide announcement during the tailgate prior to the big game.
The weekend provides an opportunity for alumni, family and friends of the college to come together. It is also an opportunity to get a glimpse of what the future has in store for the College.
“Homecoming is a special time for the Simpson College community,” said Andy English, director of alumni relations. “It provides a great opportunity for current students, faculty, staff, alumni and the Indianola community to come together to celebrate our College.”
“Yell Like Hell” serves as the unofficial start to the festivities. Held at 8:30 in Cowles Fieldhouse, the hybrid pep rally and stomp routine draws a big crowd and produces lots of energy. Homecoming royalty will be crowned at the end of the evening.
On Saturday, there’s something for everyone before the big game. While the adults fire up the grills for tailgating, the youngest fans can take part in the bouncy house and face painting as part of the Little Stormchaser’s Children’s Activities. Fans are invited to pose with their friends and family on the red couch for a photo to commemorate the weekend.
The College’s big news will be shared at 10:45 a.m. in the tailgating lot. After that, The Tony Valdez Large Band will put on a performance for the crowd.
Finally, the Storm football team takes on Wartburg at 1 p.m. in a battle for first place in the American Rivers Conference. The Storm and the Knights are the only remaining unbeaten teams in league play.
Schedule of Events
Friday, October 18
- Student-Led Campus Tour | 3:30-4:30 p.m. | College Hall
- Alumni Recognition Reception | 5 p.m. | Great Hall | RSVP Required
- Red & Gold Celebration (Athletics Hall of Fame Induction) | 7 p.m. | Hubbell Hall | RSVP Required
- Yell Like Hell | 8:30 p.m. | Cowles Fieldhouse
Saturday, October 19
- Tailgating | 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. | Hillman/McNeill Parking Lot
- Little Stormchasers Children’s Activities | 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. | Hillman/Carver Lawn
- Simpson Couch Photos | 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. | Pedestrian Plaza
- Exciting College Announcement and Celebration | 10:45 a.m. | Hillman/McNeill Parking Lot
- Live Music by The Tony Valdez Large Band | 10:45 a.m. | Hillman/McNeill Parking Lot
- AXO Annual Celebration of Sisterhood | 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. | Dirlam Lounge | $15 payable at door
- Decades Lunch and Game Watch sponsored by The Village | for alumni from ’40-’75 | Noon | Matthew Simpson Room, College Hall
- Storm Football vs. Wartburg | 1 p.m. | Buxton Stadium
- 50th Reunion of the Mineral Water Bowl Team | immediately following the game | Ballantine Conference Room, Carse Hall
- 10th Class Reunion Post-Game Gathering | 4 p.m. | The Zoo Bar, 102 W Ashland, Ave.
- 25th Class Reunion Cocktail Hour and Dinner | 5-9 p.m. | The Brickhouse, 107 N Buxton St.
- 50th Class Reunion Celebration Cocktail Hour and Dinner | 6 p.m. | Matthew Simpson Room, College Hall | RSVP Required
Sunday, October 20
- Homecoming Brunch | 10:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. | Pfeiffer Dining Hall | $11.99/person
- Campus Worship with First United Methodist Church | 11 a.m. | Smith Memorial Chapel