Simpson College announced today the appointment of Dr. Eduardo Magalhaes to the Ruth Harp Chair in Political Science. Magalhaes takes over for Dr. John Epperson, who retired following the spring semester.
A named chair at Simpson College is held by a faculty member with significant experience and reputation. A faculty member at the college for nearly 30 years, Magalhaes will serve a three-year term that can be renewed following the 2021-22 academic year.
“Dr. Magalhaes has worked tirelessly on behalf of Simpson College and our students since he joined the faculty in 1991,” President Jay Simmons said. “His commitment to our students and his discipline make him an ideal candidate for appointment to the Ruth Harp Chair in Political Science.”
Magalhaes specializes in comparative politics, international relations and minority politics in the United States. He serves as an advisor to the Midwest Model UN team, a coach for Simpson’s national champion debate team and frequently assists students with independent studies.
His commitment to our students and his discipline make him an ideal candidate for appointment to the Ruth Harp Chair in Political Science.
He earned his bachelor’s degree from Monmouth College in 1987 before earning his doctorate from the University of Iowa in 1991.
The previous Ruth Harp Chair in Political Science, Epperson retired from Simpson after a 42-year career. He served as the Ruth Harp Chair since 2000.
“Simpson College and our students are indeed fortunate to have benefitted from Dr. Epperson’s service in the Ruth Harp Chair and to look forward to Dr. Magalheas’ appointment to that chair,” Simmons said.
Endowed Chairs at Simpson
- George Washington Carver Chair in Natural Sciences — Murphy Waggoner, Ed.D.
- Anna D. Hunt Distinguished Faculty Chair in History — William B. Friedricks, Ph.D.
- Helen Harp Herny Endowed Chair in Language and Literature — CoryAnne Harrigan, Ph.D.
- Ruth Harp Chair in Political Science — Eduardo Magalhaes, Ph.D.
- Bishop Matthew Simpson Endowed Chair in Religion — Mark E. Gammon, Ph.D.
- G. Dewey and M. Maine Larsen Chair in Opera and Musical Coaching — Bernard McDonald, D.M.
- Fred W. Weitz Chair in Education — Patti Woodward-Young, Ph.D.