WHAT CAN I DO WITH A RELIGION MAJOR?
- Direct a youth ministries program
- Serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer
- Run a non-profit corporation
- Design social media for a Fortune 500 company
- Manage a team of loan specialists at a bank
- Coordinate shelter and food for homeless people
- Pastor a local church
- Minister as a hospital or campus chaplain
- Pursue a career as a lawyer
- and successfully perform dozens of other jobs!
Click here and visit the religion department Facebook page to learn more about current events and opportunities for religion majors at Simpson College.
Religion majors are also encouraged to join the Simpson College Chapter of Theta Alpha Kappa, the National Honor Society for Religious Studies and Theology.
Click here to learn more about Theta Alpha Kappa, and to find out how Simpson religion majors are getting involved.
Religion Major Required Classes:
- Rel 102 Introduction to Christian Thought
- Rel 111 Introduction to the Old Testament
- Rel 112 Introduction to the New Testament
- Rel 120 Introduction to World Religions
- Rel 250 Major Figures in Christian Thought
- Rel 385 Senior Capstone in Religion
At least five additional courses from the following electives (including at least one course in addition to 385 (above) at the 300-level. Humanities 101, 102, Interdisciplinary Studies 251, Philosophy 332, and Political Science 275 may count as religion electives.
- Rel 221 American Religion
- Rel 225 Women and Religion in America
- Rel 230 Women and Christianity
- Rel 233 Islam
- Rel 247 Margins and the Mainstream
- Rel 253 The History of Christianity
- Rel 260 Feminist Interpretation of the Bible
- Rel 263 Ethics, Religion, and Conflict
- Rel 275 Meaning of Ministry
- Rel 280 New Testament Greek I
- Rel 281 New Testament Greek II
- Rel 290 Special Topics in Religion
- Rel 311 Readings in the Bible: Selected Topics
- Rel 313 Readings in the History of Christianity
- Rel 315 Seminar in Systematic and Moral Theology
- Rel 322 Theologies of the Oppressed
- Rel 331 Theology and Social Theory
- Rel 390 Special Topics in Religion
To check out the descriptions, fulfilments, and offerings for each religion course, click here.
Religion Minor: Students will complete six Religion courses, with at least one course at the 300 level.