Mathematics at Simpson
The countless opportunities for our majors include: high-quality instruction, undergraduate research, math-related internships, and mathematical competitions. These experiences give our students a competitive edge in the job market and in graduate school. Math majors can do anything!
- Simpson offers two majors: Mathematics and Actuarial Science. The curriculum gives students a mathematical foundation so they can analyze complex systems such as the actions of enzymes on DNA, stock market trends, the effects of invasive insect species and the evolution of human cooperation.
- Every student who studies math at Simpson completes an undergraduate research project or math-related internship. Other opportunities for undergraduate research in math include our Bryan Summer Research Program, research experiences for undergraduates (REUs) and semester-abroad programs.
- Simpson math students participate in activities beyond the classroom that improve their teamwork, leadership, communication, and time management skills, including mathematical competitions, the Math Club, the Differential Analyzer Club, tutoring and teaching assistantships.
Follow the Simpson Mathematics Department
Simpson Math BlogView all
Brian Newton was named Assistant Director of Media Relations at… More »
Math Day will be held on Saturday, October 18, 2014.… More »
Snowden’s U.S. Attorney to Deliver Constitution Day Lecture at Simpson… More »
Math Club Meeting 9/15: Sara Nielsen was elected secretary Erin… More »
The first Math Club meeting of the academic year is… More »
More Reasons to Study Math at Simpson
- Almost every industry, business, and government agency needs math majors because they are versatile problem-solvers. Mathematical training is marketable, regardless of the state of the economy.
- Many studies have shown that college graduates who studied math generally have higher salaries and greater job satisfaction than graduates in other fields. In addition, they have a better chance of getting into graduate school in any field.