Wesley Service Scholarship
- The Wesley Service Scholarship supports students who are involved in volunteer service.
- The priority deadline for 2017-18 for incoming first years was February 1st, however applications are being accepted.
The scholarship requires:
- 80 hours of verified service (~40 each semester)
- Journaling about experiences
- Selected common readings regarding service
- Participation in a peer group to reflect on experiences
- Attendance at one training meeting per semester
- Wesley Service Application for incoming First Years
- Wesley Service Application for Returners to the Program for students that are currently in the program
- Wesley Service Application for New Students to the Program that are already on campus
Interested students should contact Anna Peña (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Iowa College AmeriCorps Program (ICAP)
Simpson College has partnered with the Iowa College AmeriCorps Program (ICAP), which offers an education award from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) in return for community service.
Interested students should contact Anna Peña (email@example.com).
The Religious Life Community (RLC) provides regular service opportunities at a variety of non-profit organizations. Regular partners include the Catholic Worker House, Central Iowa Shelter and Services, Children and Family Urban Movement, Second Chance Dog Rescue, and Habitat for Humanity. Transportation is always provided. Additionally, RLC coordinates alternative fall and spring break trips that allow students to spend their break in service and reflection in a variety of locations across the country.
To learn more about service through RLC, please email Danielle Fairchild, Chapel Intern, at Danielle.firstname.lastname@example.org
The Culver Center
The John C. Culver Public Policy Center serves as the nonpartisan hub for political events and activities at Simpson College. To volunteer, please contact Seth Andersen, Culver Center Director, at email@example.com or 515-961-1354.
Sororities and Fraternities at Simpson
Students involved in Sororities and Fraternities at Simpson are among the most service-oriented at the college. Each of the fraternities/sororities promotes a particular philanthropy and conduct service and programming around that philanthropy. All of them promote and some even require general volunteering for their members.
Other Campus Clubs & Organizations
Many of Simpson’s student clubs and organizations are service-oriented. Examples include, but are not limited to: EAC, SARA, Enactus, Best Buddies, and Rotaract. For a complete list of student clubs and organizations at Simpson, see http://events.simpson.edu/search/groups.
Students are always encouraged to participate in service on their own or with friends! For help identifying an organization to partner with, please contact us. You can also check out our “Local Service Opportunities” to view our Community Partners and “National and International Service Opportunities” to learn more about service opportunities available through Simpson.
Interested in completing service following graduation? Check out these opportunities.