I teach a variety of classes at Simpson, and I also mentor and advise students who want to attend medical/pharmacy/dental/veterinarian/etc. schools.
Amy Doling moved to Indianola in 2002 after completing graduate school, and she teaches microbiology, immunology, principles of biology, and biochemistry seminar. She also teaches a May Term class entitled The Political and Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS and works very closely with Iowans living with HIV. Dr. Doling shares her home with two slobbery and naughty basset hounds named Miles and Baxter and always has a visiting dog or three.
- Microbiology and Immunology
- I am interested in the mechanisms by which bacteria cause disease.
- Faculty Leadership Award, 2011
- 2002, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Ph.D., Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
- 1996, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- B.S., Biology.
- Stephanie P. Jehl, Amy M. Doling, Kara S. Giddings, Armelle Phalipon, Philippe J. Sansonetti, Marcia B. Goldberg and Michael N. Starnbach. (2011) Antigen-Specific CD8+ T Cells Fail To Respond to Shigella flexneri. Infection and Immunity 79(5):2021-2030.
- Jimmy D. Ballard, Amy M. Doling, Kate Beauregard, R. John Collier, and Michael N. Starnbach. (1998) Anthrax Toxin-Mediated Delivery In Vivo and In Vitro of a Cytotoxic T-lymphocyte Epitope from Ovalbumin. Infection and Immunity 66(2):615-619.
- Amy M. Doling, Jimmy D. Ballard, Hao Shen, Kaja Murali Krishna, Rafi Ahmed, R. John Collier, and Michael N. Starnbach. (1999) Cytotoxic T-Lymphocyte Epitopes Fused to Anthrax Toxin Induce Protective Immunity. Infection and Immunity 67(7):3290-3296.
- Yichen Lu, Rachel Friedman, Nicholas Kushner, Amy Doling, Lawrence Thomas, Neal Touzjian, Michael Starnbach, and Judy Lieberman. (2000) Genetically Modified Anthrax Lethal Toxin Safely Delivers Whole HIV Protein Antigens into the Cytosol to Induce T Cell Immunity. Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States 97(14): 8027-8032.
- A.M. Doling, J.D. Ballard, R.J. Collier and M.N. Starnbach. 1997. Anthrax Toxin as a Delivery System for Viral and Bacterial Cytotoxic T-Cell Epitopes. 97th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Miami, FL.
- A.M. Doling, J.D. Ballard, H. Shen, R. Ahmed, R.J. Collier and M.N. Starnbach. 1997. Anthrax Toxin as a Delivery System for Viral and Bacterial Cytotoxic T-Cell Epitopes. Microbial Pathogenesis and Host Response, Cold Spring Harbor, NY.