More opportunities to shine earlier and often, more honed job-ready skills that set you up for leadership and more people who care about your goals.
Let's unpack the 3 ways Simpson is better.
Prepare, practice and deliver on the college and career goals you set for yourself. We’ll be right there with all the right connections at the right time to give you an advantage.
What are Exploreships?
Legends grab a hold of as many real-world, situational experiences as they can to learn.
You’ll do the same at Simpson. Exploreships put you in the center of many robust experiences to deepen and explore your interests, define your career path and practice transferable and powerful career skills so you are ready for anything.
Experiencing many real-world situations is the best way to learn. The more – early and often – the better.LEARN MORE
- Exploreships are tailored to every student. We have faculty and staff dedicated to guiding you on your own Exploreship Journey.
- Design your journey. Check out the interactive journey tiles to see what interests you and what supports your goals the best. Then, start a conversation with us. Let’s start planning!
- We have a lot of examples to share ... some close to home with roots tied to local civic engagement and some that are ambitious and take students across the globe. It’s up to you!
Simpson Gets You There
Studying abroad in Tahiti isn’t typical – but you can do it at Simpson! Erin, a triple major, signed up and had an amazing journey (or experiences) that changed her life. She interned for the U.S. Consulate, made lifelong friends, saw the world from a different perspective and identified a problem that needed solving. She went on to intern at Earthjustice (the largest nonprofit environmental law firm) and has a job offer before she graduates. Go Erin!
Internships are a great way to build a professional network of contacts. Invitations to events and referrals can boost your career.
Stepping out of your comfort zone means that new and challenging situations will require you to find your own creativity in order to reach a solution. That’s good!
Completely immersing yourself in your studies in a host country is a great way to really experience and understand the people, its traditions and its culture.
Be Driven. Be Marketable.
Power skills set you apart from the competition and position you as an irreplaceable employee. On top of learning in your major, gain these skills and be versatile and ready for anything.
What are power skills?
Soft skills, or human skills – and they are increasing in demand.
Communication, critical thinking, listening and intrapersonal skills have increased in demand more than 70% in a recent job skills study. Set yourself up for the future by mastering these skills. Then, launch into Des Moines, and the world, ready to hear your supervisor say you were more prepared than any other intern they’ve ever had.
Get a job offer before you graduate? You bet! It’s possible.
- ANALYTICAL & CRITICAL THINKING
- CREATIVITY & PROBLEM SOLVING
- ORAL & WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
- ADAPTABILITY & TIME MANAGEMENT
- LISTENING, PERSUASION & LEADERSHIP
- WORK ETHIC, TEAMWORK & COLLABORATION
- INTRAPERSONAL & CRITICAL OBSERVATION
- MULTICULTURAL FLUENCY
What are power skills?
91% of employers cited want employees with soft skills.
The most interesting part of this research is a simple fact: In today’s world of software engineering and ever increasing technology, it’s soft skills that employers want. 80% of companies are struggling to find soft-skill-qualified employees in the market (according to a LinkedIn 2019 Global Talent Trends survey.)
Power skills are woven into everything we do at Simpson.
Break the Mold: Be Confident at Your Job
Only 3% of college graduates across the country surveyed said they received all 6 experiences linked to their confidence on the job, according to a Gallup Alumni Survey. Simpson delivers all 6.
What Are the Six?
They are multitiered support and experiential learning opportunities.
The value of a Simpson education is your ability to actively engage in ALL 6 experiences – not true at a larger school. We know your name, your goals and your ability to shine. We connect you to opportunities, to a network of employers and to activities you are passionate about. We know you can excel at all of them!
Simpson students are ready for anything.
ACCORDING TO RECENT SURVEYS, SIMPSON STUDENTS SELF-REPORTED RECEIVING ALL 6:
- AN EXCITING ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
- PROFESSORS WHO CARED ABOUT THEM AND THEIR SUCCESS
- BEING ENCOURAGED AND MENTORED
- ENGAGING IN A VALUABLE INTERNSHIP
- COMPLETING A STRONG, ACADEMIC PROJECT
- ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN AN ACTIVITY OR ORGANIZATION
- “Best decision I’ve ever made.”
- “The best faculty and staff!”
- “SC made me who I am today.”
- “SC stretched me as an individual.”
- “The most wonderful years of my life.”
- “Professors cared about me.”
- “The ultimate college experience.”
- “I made lifelong friends, who I cherish.”
- “My time abroad changed my whole world.”