Simpson at a Glance
Simpson College is a private, liberal arts college in Iowa with campuses in Indianola, West Des Moines and online. Founded in 1860, the picturesque main campus sits on 85 tree-shaded acres in Indianola, 12 miles south of the state capital of Des Moines. Consistently ranked among the top liberal arts colleges in the country according to US News & World Report, Simpson transforms students through welcoming communities, exceptional programs and distinctive opportunities.
The red brick gates outside of College Hall are maybe the most iconic structure at Simpson College. The new freshman class walks through the gates each fall to symbolize the beginning of their Simpson Experience. The journey comes full circle when the graduating class marches through the gates at commencement.
Beneath the Whispering Maples
Every fall, Simpson College's campus comes to life. The iconic maple trees turn shades of red and gold, creating a blanket of color across campus. The scenic trees served as the inspiration for Joseph W. Walt's book, "Beneath the Whispering Maples: The History of Simpson College."
Blending the Past and Present
Look across campus and you'll see how Simpson College displays its proud history while embracing its promising future. The Kent Campus Center is one of the newest additions to the landscape, serving as the college's "living room."
Simpson College is home to a vibrant, engaged population of approximately 1,200 full-time, undergraduate students. Students come to Simpson from around the country and around the world.
- 1,200 full-time, undergraduate students
- 13:1 student-to-faulty ratio
- 53% of students are female, 47% are male
- 82% of students come from Iowa, 17% come from out of state, 1% are international
100 percent of students receive financial aid, totaling an average of $27 million per year
99 percent placement rate within six months of graduation
40 percent of students are first-generation college students
Simpson College offers more than 80 majors, minors and pre-professional programs in addition to three graduate programs.
- More than 90 percent of students graduate in four years or less
- The incoming class features 49 percent of students who graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school class
Learn From The Best
84 percent of Simpson College faculty possess the highest degree in their discipline
There's always something to do on campus. Students participate in the more-than-225 events organized by the Campus Activities Board, compete in intramurals and join campus organizations. That's just the beginning.
Simpson College's Campus Activities Board brings dozens of world-renowned performances to campus every year. Concerts. Comedians. Hypnotists. All just steps from the residence halls.
4 on-campus residence halls
7 apartment-style complexes
10-plus Greek and themed houses
Alpha Tau Omega
Kappa Theta Psi
Lambda Chi Alpha
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Delta Delta Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Lambda Gamma
50-Plus Campus Organizations
60 percent of students participate in intramurals
84 percent of students participate in at least one, on-campus activity
• The athletic department sponsors 19 intercollegiate, varsity sports
• Affiliated with NCAA Division III and the American Rivers Conference
• Nicknamed the "Storm"
• The department boasts 20 team and individual NCAA national champions, 90 conference championships, 77 NCAA postseason appearances and 320 All-Americans
• 96% of students complete at least one, high-impact practice. High impact practices include internships, research, field experiences, practicums, holding leadership positions on campus, studying abroad and student teaching
• 82% of students complete at least one internship prior to graduation at companies and organizations like Wells Fargo, Principal Financial and the Iowa Governor’s Office
• 40% of students study abroad
• 5,000 internship and job opportunities available to students through online job bulletin, Handshake