Health & Counseling Services
Serving our students, body and mind
We help students stay well and advocate for their physical and emotional needs
When you come to Simpson, you can rest assured we will be there to both support you and help you develop intellectual, emotional, personal and practical skills that promote healthy lifestyles and empower you to take charge of your own health. All health and counseling services are confidential.
Healthcare services and information
Katie Lee, RN, BSN
Director of Health Services
Kent Campus Center, 2nd Floor
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Free and discounted products and services available to students
- Emergency first aid services
- Assessment of illness and injury
- Referral and appointment assistance to appropriate health care providers
- Over-the-counter medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, cough drops, etc.) and basic medical supplies (bandages, disposable thermometers, antibiotic ointment, etc.)
- Medical equipment including crutches, slings, ace wraps, ice packs, etc.
- Strep, mono, urine, blood glucose and pregnancy testing
- Emergency contraception offered ($15)
- Ongoing birth control shots such as Depo
- Blood pressure screenings
- Health education materials and resources
- Wellness programming and events throughout the year
- Student Health 101 magazine
No allergy shots are given at Health Services. Several local providers are available for these services.
Transportation options for students in Indianola and surrounding area can be found here.
Health Care Providers
Indianola and Des Moines have excellent options for medical care.
Counseling services and information
Ellie Olson, PhD
Associate Dean for Counseling, Health, and Leadership
Director, Kent Campus Center, 2nd Floor
Katy Griner, MS
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
Counselor, Kent Campus Center, 2nd Floor
Laura Graves O'Haver, PhD
Kent Campus Center, 2nd Floor
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
To schedule an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org, 515-961-1332
Counseling Services is here to help you resolve personal concerns that may interfere with your academic progress, social development and satisfaction at Simpson. Free individual, group and couples counseling for all Simpson students is available as well as prevention and consultation services for the college community.
Free counseling available to students dealing with:
- Difficulty with friends, roommates, or family members
- Depression and anxiety
- Sexual identity
- Lack of motivation or difficulty relaxing, concentrating or studying
- Eating disorders
- Substance abuse
- Sexual assault and sexual abuse recovery
- Uncertainties about personal values and beliefs
- Other issues impacting a student's life and academic performance
If an emergency occurs during business hours, please contact Counseling Services in person or by phone and ask to speak to a counselor immediately. Please note that email is not constantly monitored during business hours. If after hours, contact Campus Security at (515) 961-1711 or the police at 911.
Additional resources include:
Iowa Lutheran Hospital: 515-263-5120
Mercy Medical Center: 515-247-3121
Crisis Observation Center: 515-564-5742
National Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255
Statewide Crisis Line: 800-332-4224