Health & Counseling Services
Serving our students, body and mind
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Disease Information
During COVID-19, both Health Services and Counseling Services continue to serve the campus community. Reference the office-specific information below to learn more.
For up-to-date information on Simpson's response to COVID-19, visit www.simpson.edu/covid19.
Healthcare services and information
The Health Services office is open by appointment only. Please email email@example.com or call 515-961-1604 to make an appointment. If this is a more urgent matter, please call Campus Security at 515-961-1711 and ask to have Katie Lee notified via phone. As always, if this is a medical emergency, please call 911 and inform the dispatcher of your symptoms.
COVID-19 is a new virus, and the information changes quickly. Please visit our COVID-19 web page for the latest up-to-date information.
You can also visit the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) for specific guidelines in Iowa or the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for general COVID-19 information.
We all have a responsibility in this pandemic, and we appreciate you doing your part.
Katie Lee, RN, BSN
Director of Health Services
Kent Campus Center, 2nd Floor
Free and discounted products and services available to students
- Emergency first aid services
- Assessment of illness and injury
- Referral and appointment assistance to appropriate health care providers
- Over-the-counter medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, cough drops, etc.) and basic medical supplies (bandages, disposable thermometers, antibiotic ointment, etc.)
- Medical equipment including crutches, slings, ace wraps, ice packs, etc.
- Strep, mono, urine, blood glucose and pregnancy testing
- Emergency contraception offered ($15)
- Ongoing birth control shots such as Depo
- Blood pressure screenings
- Health education materials and resources
- Wellness programming and events throughout the year
No allergy shots are given at Health Services. Several local providers are available for these services.
Transportation options for students in Indianola and surrounding area can be found here.
Health Care Providers
Indianola and Des Moines have excellent options for medical care.
Counseling services and information
Simpson College's Office of Counseling Services is available to students Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To schedule an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-961-1332.
NEW WALK-IN HOURS!
If you would like to speak with a counselor and have not booked an appointment, you may come in during walk-in hours. First come, first serve.
Things to know about counseling provided by Simpson College Counseling Services:
- We are continuing with any current clients who wish/are able to do so and WILL BE TAKING NEW CLIENTS throughout the rest of the academic year.
- If you would like, we are also happy to assist with referrals to services in your home community.
- Sessions remain confidential.
- Initial sessions will still be 30-45 minutes, regular sessions will be 45-50 minutes.
- If you would like to schedule a session, we will send you links to paperwork for you to complete prior to your session or when you arrive early for your session.
Jenny Vargas, LISW CADC
Director of Counseling Services
Kent Campus Center, 2nd Floor
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday.
To schedule an appointment: email@example.com, 515-961-1332
Counseling Services is here to help you resolve personal concerns that may interfere with your academic progress, social development and satisfaction at Simpson. Free individual, group and couples counseling for all Simpson students is available as well as prevention and consultation services for the college community.
Free counseling available to students dealing with:
- Difficulty with friends, roommates, or family members
- Depression and anxiety
- Sexual identity
- Lack of motivation or difficulty relaxing, concentrating or studying
- Eating disorders
- Substance abuse
- Sexual assault and sexual abuse recovery
- Uncertainties about personal values and beliefs
- Other issues impacting a student's life and academic performance
If an emergency occurs during business hours, please contact Counseling Services in person or by phone and ask to speak to a counselor immediately. Please note that email is not constantly monitored during business hours. If after hours, contact Campus Security at (515) 961-1711 or the police at 911.
Additional resources include:
Iowa Lutheran Hospital: 515-263-5120
Mercy Medical Center: 515-247-3121
Crisis Observation Center: 515-564-5742
National Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255
Statewide Crisis Line: 800-332-4224
Additional Counseling Information
- Student Assistance Program (SAP)
- Up to 3 virtual visits provided by Simpson
- Available via phone 24/7
- App available on iTunes and Google Play for chat and mental health resources
- On-Site Services
- A Therapist will be on campus from 8am-2pm on Fridays through the end of May Term beginning on 2/11
- Connect with one or both of these services by calling 800-327-4692