Professor Aswati Subramanian was drawn to the Biology Department at Simpson because it’s faculty work as a community to nurture and mentor each undergraduate student. Additionally, she resonated with the interdisciplinary approach to education at Simpson College in general, which is a strong reflection of its liberal arts ideology.
I received my undergraduate degree in Life Sciences and a Master’s degree with a specialization in Neurobiology from Sophia College, Mumbai, India. I joined Miami University, Ohio for a Ph.D. where I studied motor proteins and ciliary motility in Tetrahymena. I continued at Miami as a postdoctoral fellow studying peripheral nerve development in Drosophila. At Simpson, I am enthusiastic about conducting undergraduate research on the molecular basis of motility in Tetrahymena. I am also keenly interested in promoting S.T.E.A.M. education by studying areas in which science and art intersect. Outside the classroom I enjoy creating art, cooking, reading and hiking.
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Postdoctoral fellow (2018) -Miami University, Ohio
- Ph.D. (2013) -Miami University, Ohio
- M.S. (2003) -Sophia College, Mumbai, India
- B.S. (2001) -Sophia College, Mumbai, India
- Subramanian, A., Seifert, M., Banerjee, S., Kumar, V., Bergmann K., Curts, C., Dorr, M., Molina, C. and Fernandes, J.J. 2017. Glial cell remodeling of peripheral nerves during development. Dev Neurobiol. 2017 Apr 7. doi: 10.1002/dneu.22502.
- Johnson, C.M., Subramanian, A., Edelmann, R. E., Correll, M.J., Pattathil, S. and Kiss, J.Z. 2017. Comparative transcriptomics indicate changes in cell wall organization and stress response in seedlings during spaceflight. Am J Botany doi: 10.3732/ajb.1700079.
- Subramanian, A., Gray, S.F., Kabi, A. and Pennock, D.G. 2016. p28 dynein light chains and ciliary motility in Tetrahymena. Cytoskeleton 73(4):197-208.
- Yousefi, A.M., James, P.F., Akbarzadeh, R., Subramanian, A., Flavin, C. and Oudadesse, H. 2016. Prospect of Stem Cells in Bone Tissue Engineering: A Review. Stem Cells International. doi:10.1155/2016/6180487.
- Johnson, C. M., Subramanian, A., Edelmann, R. E., Kiss, J. Z. 2015. Morphometric analyses of petioles of seedlings grown in a spaceflight experiment. J Plant Res. 128(6): 1007-16.
- Joshua Minton, Cara Janney, Rosa Akbarzadeh, Carlie Focke, Aswati Subramanian, Tyler Smith, Joseph McKinney, Junyi Liu, James Schmitz, Paul F. James and Azizeh-Mitra Yousefi. 2014. Solvent-free Polymer/Bioceramic Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering: Fabrication, Analysis, and Cell Growth. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 25(16): 1856-74.
- Rajagopalan, V., Subramanian, A., Wilkes, D.E., Pennock, D.G., Asai, D.J. 2009. Dynein-2 affects the regulation of ciliary length but is not required for ciliogenesis in Tetrahymena thermophila. Mol. Biol Cell. 20(2):708-720.
- Hebbar S., Hall, R.E., Demski, S.A., Subramanian, A., Fernandes J.J. 2006. The adult abdominal neuromuscular junction of Drosophila: a model for synaptic plasticity. J Neurobiol. 66(10):1140-55.