Nicolle brings experience and expertise in exercise and nutrition initiatives for athletes, children, and high-risk population.
Nicolle Whalen serves as a professor, advisor, and internship supervisor, helping students achieve their personal and professional goals. Outside of the classroom she works to provide students with a variety of learning opportunities, both on and off campus. These range from professional internships to service learning in various settings. Nicolle also is the faculty sponsor for the campus Exercise Science club, which works to provide health and wellness opportunities for Simpson students, faculty and staff.
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Prescription for Special Populations
- Personal Health and Wellness
- Exercise and Nutrition Behavior Change Strategies
- Faculty of the Year, Student Support Services, Simpson College – 2007
- ACSM-certified Exercise Physiologist
- MS in Exercise Physiology, Iowa State University, 2000
- Thesis: Expressions of the Bilateral Deficit in Submaximal Intensities
- BA in Sports Administration and Athletic Training, Simpson College, 1998
- Hernandez, J.P., Nelson-Whalen, N.L., Franke, W.D. & McLean, S.P. (2003). Bilateral index expressions and iEMG activity in older vs. young adults. Journal of Gerontology Series A: Biological and Medical Sciences 58(6); 536-541.
- Hadden, M., Nelson, N. (1999) “Nonimpact Stress Fractures of the Ulna-A Case Review”, Athletic Therapy Today, May 1999
- POSTER PRESENTATIONS
- “The Effects of Playing Pokémon Go on Physical Activity and Lifestyle Changes” ACSM annual meeting, Denver, CO, May 2017.
- “Comparison of Step Count during a bout of Pokémon Go vs Traditional Aerobic Exercise” ACSM annual meeting, Denver, CO, May 2017.
- “’Walkabout’ integrated physical activities improve inattention, hyperactivity and engagement in the preK-2nd grade classroom” NASPSPA conference, spring 2017 (co-author)
- “Regular Exercise Is Associated with Self-Reported Weight Related Eating Behaviors in College Females” ACSM annual meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2014.