Getting the hands-on experience with a variety of diverse people and projects will give you a unique perspective on the nature and workings of humans in group life.
Experiential learning is a key component of the Simpson Experience, which is why it has been a coursework requirement for more than 50 years at Simpson. You will find rich and diverse ways to explore and discover the field, and Simpson's proximity to the Des Moines metro benefits you greatly as you as you secure a dynamic field experience.
You will need to complete a field experience if you are pursuing a major in criminal justice, sociology or human services. It is normally taken in your senior year and requires 120 hours of placement time. A great deal of application, synthesis and reflection is required as you complete this course.
Recent outstanding internships have included:
- Iowa Department of Public Safety
- Iowa Attorney General’s Office
- Crisis Intervention Services
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- Iowa Criminal and Juvenile Justice Division
- Lutheran Services of Iowa
- Iowa Department of Human Services
- Orchard Place
- Polk County Juvenile Detention Center
- Iowa Board of Parole
- Federal Public Defender’s Office