Where is MUMS held and how do I get there?
MUMS 2020 will be held in the Carver Science Center at Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa. Click here for maps and directions to the Indianola campus. The Carver Science Center is near the northwest corner of Clinton Street and Buxton Street.
Is there funding available for student travel?
Unfortunately, we do not have funding for student travel. We encourage students to seek funding for travel expenses from their home institutions. If you are a student, talk with a professor from your school about the availability of travel funds.
Where can I park my car?
Visitors can park for free in any campus lot because the symposium occurs on a Saturday. Free parking is also available on the city streets around campus.
Where can I stay?
There are three hotels in Indianola and several hotels on the south and east sides of Des Moines that are within an easy 20-minute drive of Simpson College. Some options are listed below.
- Country Inn & Suites - 501 E Trail Ridge Avenue, Indianola
- Quality Inn - 1701 N Jefferson Way, Indianola
- Apple Tree Inn - 1215 North Jefferson Way, Indianola
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Airport - 6800 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport - 6880 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Hampton Inn Des Moines Airport - 5001 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Holiday Inn Des Moines Airport - 6111 Fleur Drive, Des Moines
- Sleep Inn & Suites - 5850 Morning Star Court, Pleasant Hill
What kind of presentation equipment is available for talks?
All of the presentation rooms are equipped with a laptop computer connected to a projector. The laptops have a typical Windows setup with Microsoft Office. The projectors have VGA and HDMI cords, so make sure to bring your own connector if your laptop doesn't have a VGA or HDMI port.
Can I borrow a poster board?
Yes; tri-fold poster boards are available for poster presenters. The black foam boards measure 3 feet tall by 4 feet wide and they can accommodate at most 16 sheets of paper.