Hello and welcome!
This webpage is dedicated to fostering a healthier workplace at Simpson, and it all starts with a healthier you. On this page you will find wellness tips and tricks, healthy eating ideas, campus wellness events, employee policies and much more to help keep you on the right path to meeting your health goals.
This page is updated by the Wellness Committee, and we're always looking for new wellness ideas as well as new committee members, so feel free to reach out to any of the current members, or if you would like to remain anonymous, you can submit comments through EAC's comments and suggestions form.
It is the mission of the Simpson College Wellness Committee to promote the health and wellness of the Simpson community through education and initiatives that support employees in making healthy choices with their work and home lives.
- Mimi Bartley-Nancarrow
- Katie Lee
- Becky Hastie
- Matt Jeter
- Mara Bailey
- Nicole Darling
- Jenifer Welsh
No events at this time.
- May 2018 - Taking Control of Allergies
- June 2018 - Melanoma
- July 2018 - Medication Adherence
- August 2018 - Stress Management
- December 2018 - Seasonal Affective Disorder
- May 2019 - Healthy Sleep Habits
Employee Assistance Program
- March 2018 Newsletter
- May 2018 Newsletter
- July 2018 Newsletter
- August 2018 Newsletter
- December 2018 Newsletter
- March 2019 Newsletter
- April 2019 Newsletter
- May 2019 Newsletter
Simpson Well-being Perks
Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides Simpson employees access to free and confidential counseling services. A professionally trained counselor will help guide you toward a better understanding of your problem, what caused it and approaches to a solution and overall healthier life.
Volunteer Time Off (VTO)
Each new calendar, year eight (8) hours of VTO will be available to full-time employees. All employees are encouraged to become involved in the Indianola and Greater Des Moines communities, supporting programs that positively impact the quality of life. Complete information can be found in the Employee Handbook under Benefits and Privileges number 16 found here.
Simpson Fitness Perks
Simpson Athletic Club (SAC)
As a current Simpson employee you and your dependent family members are granted use of the Steven Johnson Fitness Center and Athletic Complex. Take advantage of the wonderful equipment and rec rooms available within walking distance from you. Please review the SAC General Policies before using any of the resources.
- Weight room for use with free weights
- Aerobic/cardiovascular space full of treadmills, bikes, elipticals, and weight machines
- Dance/Fitness Class Studio
- Over 40 yards of training turf
- 2 Racquetball courts
- Cowles and Hopper Gymnasiums (When not in use by Simpson Athletics or intramurals)
Wellness Flex Policy
The Flex Policy provides the option for employees to utilize a portion of their allotted lunch break to exercise at their preferred time of day, when approved in advance by their immediate supervisor.
Every semester Simpson Intramurals hosts fitness classes to give you a small class size setting to work with an instructor. Classes can range from simpler yoga and zumba to more intensive cardio burn and guts n' glutes. If interested, please contact Nicole Darling for the updated class schedules.
Discounted YMCA Membership
Full-time employees of the College also have the opportunity to become a member of the Iowa YMCA at a reduced cost.
- Membership plans include Adult, Family, Senior, and Senior Family. Varying rates apply.
- Get a letter from HR to receive the Simpson partnership rate. Without this letter, the Y will not be able to extend the Simpson partnership rate.
- The YMCA of Greater DM will waive the joining fee, a $50 savings, for new memberships.
- As a part of the partnership agreement, Simpson pays $10.00 a month for each Simpson enrolled. This fee becomes taxable income to the employee enrolled and is reported annually on the enrolled W-4.
- Individuals must join at the Indianola YMCA. However, membership allows members access to all Iowa YMCAs without additional cost. The “Health Living Center” is not a part of this agreement.
- To maintain the discounted membership, those enrolled as full-time employees will need to use the Y an average of at least eight (8) times a month.
- A quarterly usage report will be sent to the College. Those who do not maintain the 8 times minimum average will not continue to receive the corporate discount for the next quarter.
- If you decide to stop your membership, you will need to follow the YMCA’s procedures to end the membership.
- If you leave your employment at Simpson, your membership rate will automatically go up to the full membership rate of the Y.
Find out more about what the YMCA has to offer: www.dmymca.org/locations/indianola-ymca/
Campus Walking Routes
Simpson has a beautiful campus. Take advantage of this with some easy walking routes.
Walking a full loop equals 1/2 a mile.
Overhead view of 1/2 mile route:
Kent/Carse Fitness Center route – 2 loops is a little over a half mile, 4 loops is a little over a mile.
Start at Information Desk – head north (toward the mailroom) through doors, go up both flights of stairs and then turn right. Go through doors and the Student Development Offices will be on your right. Continue down the hallway, staying to your right, and walk down Kent’s main stairs. When you get to the bottom of the stairs, go right and walk straight down the hallway all the way past the Athletic Hall of Fame toward Buxton Stadium and head down two flights of stairs toward Cowles. Walk the hallway south of Cowles gym and take the stairs on the west side of the building back up to the main level. To your right will be the west doors leading outside. Go left up a very short set of stairs, and through the doors. The Fitness Center will be on your right. Walk the lobby then turn left and head back through the hallway to the Information Desk.
Hillman Hall route – 6 loops is approximately a half mile, 12 loops is approximately a mile
Begin at the south door, walk north all the way down the hallway and turn left at door #11 (right before the north exit door). Go through the room and the breezeway between Hillman and McNeill. After going through 2 sets of doors, take the McNeill stairs on your left and go up both flights. Go through door, turn right and walk through 2nd floor breezeway and the following door. Continue through the hallway, passing the copy room on your left. Turn right at Hillman’s 2nd floor hallway and head all the way toward Advancement’s office. When you get to the end of the hall, go through the door on your left and down the stairwell back to the to the main floor and your original starting point.