The responsibility and purpose of the Security Department is to promote and maintain a safe environment for students, faculty and staff of Simpson College to make it possible for all members of the Simpson College community to participate in the academic and extra-curricular activities of the College in a safe and secure environment.
- To protect the property and assets of Simpson College
- To establish and maintain a healthy relationship with neighboring residents and the greater Indianola community.
- To work closely with local law enforcement agencies to maintain a high level of cooperation and open communication.
The Security Department’s mission is to complement and supplement the overall academic mission of Simpson College.
The Simpson College Campus Security staff is comprised of 3 full-time and 3 part-time professional staff members along with a number of work study students who work to provide a safe place for students, faculty and staff to learn, work and or live. The professional staff members have a variety of educational and work experiences in the public safety field.
Campus Security Officers respond to a variety of requests and regularly patrol the campus residence halls and buildings. Along with other College offices (e.g., Residential Life), the department is responsible for enforcing College policies and regulations of College property. The department works closely with the Indianola Police Department when incidents of a criminal nature arise. Campus Security Officers do not possess the power to arrest.
Simpson College Security Officers field telephone calls, and are trained to provide a variety of services. In addition, our officers patrol the campus, which includes but is not limited to residence halls, academic buildings, parking lots, and sidewalks. For criminal activity, we cooperate and assist the Indianola Police Department, in performing their duties.
- Locking and unlocking buildings, and enforcing building hours
- Admitting students in buildings after hours
- Escorting students across campus upon request
- Admitting students in residence halls
- Enforcing parking policies, and issuing parking permits and tickets
- Respond to all smoke and fire alarms
- Assist Indianola Police Department with finding suspects
The Simpson College Campus Security Staff also offers programs for students on safety policies, crime prevention, fire safety, alcohol policy, and other topics as requested.