Spring 2020 Commencement
Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
Cowles Fieldhouse-Indianola Campus
Graduates please arrive at 9:15 a.m. for check-in at Smith Chapel
Friday, May 1, 2020
Baccalaureate – Smith Chapel, 7 p.m. This is an open service for graduates, their families, and friends. There will be no academic procession, and caps and gowns will not be worn.
Senior Reception Matthew Simpson Room – 2nd floor, College Hall. Following Baccalaureate there will be a reception for graduates, their families, and guests. (To avoid stairs, use the ramp on the north side of the building, proceed down the hall to the elevator.)
Saturday, May 2, 2020
Graduation Procession Line-Up, 9:15 a.m. Students should arrive in front of Smith Chapel attired in their caps and gowns. Check-in is arranged by last name and is located outside the front of Smith Chapel. You will be given a card numbered to indicate your position in the procession. Go directly into Smith Chapel and find your row that matches the information on your card. Faculty will be in Smith Chapel to help you find your place and to give final instructions.
Commencement Ceremony – Commencement Ceremony – Cowles Fieldhouse, 10 a.m. Doors open at 8:15 a.m. All seating is general seating, no tickets are required. Ushers on duty will be pleased to provide assistance to all guests. Anyone who would like to be seated near the sign language interpreters is asked to express that desire to an usher who will direct them to that specific area. A reception with light refreshments will be held following the ceremony on the Pedestrian Plaza in front of the Kent Campus Center. See this link for department locations at the reception.
Marque Commencement Brunch – Sodexo Dining Services & Student Development invite graduates and their families to join us to celebrate at our Marquee Commencement Brunch, 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Saturday, May 2, in Pfeiffer Dining Hall. Students on a meal plan may use their board or flex for admittance. Graduates on a meal plan who bring in their tassel will also receive two complimentary guest meals when using their meal plan. Additional meals may be purchased for the door price of $12.50 online via Sodexo's e-commerce portal: simpsondining.sodexomyway.com/shop or at the door the day of the event.
Venues Open on Commencement Day
**Bookstore open from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Parking and Building Accessibility Information-The north section of the Pedestrian Plaza (south of Girard Avenue) is open to two-way traffic to accommodate drop-offs only in front of the Kent Campus Center. No parking will be allowed on the Pedestrian Plaza.
You can access the Athletic Complex and Cowles Fieldhouse in the following ways:
- From D Street, enter on the west side of the Athletic Center (including handicapped access ramp) or enter the west entrance to Kent Campus Center and walk through the building and down the stairs to Cowles Fieldhouse;
- From the Pedestrian Plaza, enter on the east side of the Athletic Complex or through the east side of the Kent Campus Center and walk through the building and down the stairs to Cowles Fieldhouse.
Handicapped parking spaces are located in the Kent Center Parking Lot, McNeill/Hillman Parking Lot, Pote Theater Parking Lot and on D Street.
- From D Street, use the ramp on the west side of Athletic Complex down to Cowles Fieldhouse.
- From the Pedestrian Plaza, enter the Athletic Complex, turn left and take the elevator from the main level to the lower level. When you reach the lower level, proceed down the hallway to Cowles Fieldhouse.
- From the Pedestrian Plaza, enter the Athletic Complex and turn right to watch the ceremony through the windows above the gym from the “upper hallway” across from the athletic offices. You can also enter from the Pedestrian Plaza through the main entrance to the Kent Campus Center and turn left to access this same space. This area will be equipped with a public address system and air conditioning. (The gym is not air-conditioned.)