June 25, 2021 (11:44 a.m. Central Time)
Dear Simpson College students, faculty and staff:
Following extensive discussions with the CMT and members of the cabinet, we are revising our COVID-19 protocols, effective June 28, 2021. The revised protocols feature a mask-optional approach for vaccinated individuals in the current, Yellow Operating Phase.
Yellow Phase (current)
- Mask use is optional for fully vaccinated individuals (indoors and outdoors)
- Mask use is expected for non-vaccinated individuals (indoors; outdoor mask use remains optional)
- Classroom protocols are still to be determined
- Mask use is required for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status
To see the complete, updated COVID Operational Phases and Transitions – including triggers for moving between phases – please visit simpson.edu/covid19-plan.
In making this revision we considered current guidance from the CDC and American College Health Association, the well-being of our community as a whole and our shared desire to return to more normal life as more and more members of the community are vaccinated.
While the new revision allows vaccinated individuals to remove their mask, our goal remains the same. When we reach an 80% vaccination rate as a campus, we can move into the Green Operating Phase. At that point, we’ve achieved an immunity level that protects us all.
That means everyone can take off their mask.
Before we can go Green, we need to know our status as a campus community. If you’ve been vaccinated, please email a photo of your vaccination card showing the vaccine you received and the dates the vaccinations were completed.
- Students, send a photo of your vaccination card to email@example.com.
- Employees, send a photo of your vaccination card to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to all for doing your part to keep our community healthy, strong, and moving forward. Together, we are ONE Simpson!
Heidi Levine, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Development and Planning
Chair, Crisis Management Team