June 25, 2021 (11:44 a.m. Central Time)
Dear Simpson College students, faculty and staff:
Following extensive discussions with the CMT and members of the cabinet, we are revising our COVID-19 protocols, effective June 28, 2021. The revised protocols feature a mask-optional approach for vaccinated individuals in the current, Yellow Operating Phase.
Yellow Phase (current)
- Mask use is optional for fully vaccinated individuals (indoors and outdoors)
- Mask use is expected for non-vaccinated individuals (indoors; outdoor mask use remains optional)
- Classroom protocols are still to be determined
- Mask use is required for all individuals, regardless of vaccination status
To see the complete, updated COVID Operational Phases and Transitions – including triggers for moving between phases – please visit simpson.edu/covid19-plan.
In making this revision we considered current guidance from the CDC and American College Health Association, the well-being of our community as a whole and our shared desire to return to more normal life as more and more members of the community are vaccinated.
While the new revision allows vaccinated individuals to remove their mask, our goal remains the same. When we reach an 80% vaccination rate as a campus, we can move into the Green Operating Phase. At that point, we’ve achieved an immunity level that protects us all.
That means everyone can take off their mask.
Before we can go Green, we need to know our status as a campus community. If you’ve been vaccinated, please email a photo of your vaccination card showing the vaccine you received and the dates the vaccinations were completed.
- Students, send a photo of your vaccination card to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employees, send a photo of your vaccination card to email@example.com.
Thanks to all for doing your part to keep our community healthy, strong, and moving forward. Together, we are ONE Simpson!
Heidi Levine, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Development and Planning
Chair, Crisis Management Team
Resources for Students & Campus Community
- COVID-19 Student Resources Page
- COVID-19 Community Resources Page
- Simpson College Safety Plan: COVID-19 Phases
- Simpson College Summer Faculty Speaker Series
- Downloadable Simpson College Zoom Virtual Backgrounds
- Simpson College Activity Guide
Questions and Answers about COVID-19
Parent and Student Town Hall Recordings
- Student Town Hall: May 18, 2020
- Parent Town Hall: April 15, 2020
- Parent Town Hall: May 11, 2020
- Parent Town Hall: June 4, 2020
- Student and Parent Town Hall: August 12, 2020
To read previous updates, please click on the links below.
- Friday, May 28
- Friday, May 14
- Thursday, May 6
- Monday, May 3
- Friday, April 2
- Tuesday, March 23
- Tuesday, March 16
- Thursday, March 11
- Tuesday, February 2
- Monday, January 4
- Tuesday, November 12
- Friday, November 6
- Tuesday, September 29
- Thursday, August 27
- Friday, August 8
- Wednesday, June 24
- Wednesday, June 17
- Wednesday, June 10
- Wednesday, June 3
- Wednesday, May 27
- Wednesday, May 20
- Wednesday, May 13
- Wednesday, May 6
- Thursday, April 30
- Monday, April 27
- Thursday, April 23
- Monday, April 20
- Thursday, April 16
- Monday, April 13
- Thursday, April 9
- Monday, April 6
- Friday, April 3
- Thursday, April 2
- Wednesday, April 1
- Tuesday, March 31
- Monday, March 30
- Sunday, March 29
- Saturday, March 28
- Friday, March 27
- Thursday, March 26
- Wednesday, March 25
- Tuesday, March 24
- Monday, March 23
- Sunday, March 22
- Friday, March 20
- Thursday, March 19
- Wednesday, March 18
- Tuesday, March 17
- Monday, March 16
- Sunday, March 15
- Saturday, March 14
- Friday, March 13
- Thursday, March 12
- Wednesday, March 11
The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) has changed its quarantine guidance to advise against quarantine following exposure if both parties were properly wearing masks. While this is not consistent with CDC guidelines, there are a number of emerging studies that back this up as the right decision and adopted in other states. To that end, Simpson College will adopt the IDPH standards for exposure and quarantine.
- Allow the option for people to choose to quarantine
- Employees due to campus workplace exposure
- Occurring in a classroom, using socially distanced seating
- Continue to quarantine if the exposure occurred outside classrooms.
- We still need faculty seating/attendance information for contact tracing and if we need to revert to Orange Phase.
As the new protocols and procedures around quarantine are contingent upon proper face-mask use, please see the following CDC criteria for appropriate mask use on the Simpson campus: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html.
- Masks need to be correctly worn, completely covering the mouth AND nose.
- Face shields and vented masks are not recommended and will result in quarantine if identified as a close contact.
- Gaiters are not permitted and will result in quarantine if identified as a close contact.